For my daughter (prepare for much reading)

My daughter was in a long term relationship, became pregnant at 17, gave birth at 18. The father cheated on her. =[ The "other girl" harassed my daughter at their high school while she was pregnant, so she dropped out to get away from her (they had 2 classes together) and persued her GED. Times have been tough but I am SO PROUD at how she is so mature and handles everything.

She has not yet had a job, but has volunteered at the library and at Habitat for Humanity. She is desperately searching for work, part time. In the morning so that I will watch my grandson a few hours. ( I work a graveyard shift)

Now her car is broken down after we purchased it and had it for 1 day. It costs roughly 600 to fix.

Her ex only gives her 50 dollars a month to take care of their child and she does need more.

Does anyone know where she can get work?

I have seen her come home from dozens of interfiews almost in tears saying that they told her, "We prefer someone with more...expierience." Does volunteer work not count?

Please help. We are two single moms!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• I hate that people don't look at vilunteering as experience because to me it is just that.

Don't know where yall are. Here (a very depressed area) the Walmart distribution center is hiring.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:01 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I do work at walmart grave shift...almost 5 years now. I could refer her to my store but we aren't hiring =[
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:04 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I would assess what skills she has, review her resume and look into some temp agencies. They can help find jobs pretty quickly and it will allow her to gain experience while still getting paid. The resume could also be part of the obstacle. If she doesn't have an error-free and well-written, well-organized resume, it could hurt her chances. Be sure to include the volunteer experience on the resume to prove how she uses her skills.

Some other places that tend to hire teenagers are bookstores, coffee shops, colleges, and banks. Temp agencies provide much longer lasting value though since you build up good office experience instead of just a retail job
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 1:30 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• She needs to complete her GED, and get some job skills; she can do both at a community college. At the minimum, she should take Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, along with one or two bookkeeping classes.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:39 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• She can also look into government sponsored job training here:  http://www.jobcorps.gov/Home.aspx

Answer by rkoloms at 6:40 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Try care.com. Use the pulldown to see several job categories. That's where I found my 2 part time jobs. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:39 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I put all of my volunteer work down as previous experience - I dedicate 30+ hours each week to volunteering with girl scouts alone (and it's more like 50+ hours a week during cookie and recruitment seasons) and I also volunteer with other organizations. Just because I don't draw a salary does not mean I'm not working and using a skill set that I could easily use for earning a salary. I think your daughter is doing amazing things with volunteering and working to better herself. Good luck to both of you (c:

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:55 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Tell her to go to Child Support Enforcement in your county. They will decide how much dad needs to pay in child support and they will garnish his pay checks.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Temp agencies are great resources and many will offer free training in key areas (ie computer skills) to help them prepare for a job. Many of the companies around here do only temp-perm jobs instead of hiring - so they can "try out" the people before they commit. Has she thought about community college or tech school so she can build a career? Depending on where you live, there are some great 1-2 year programs out there (but please stay away from for profit schools!)

Answer by missanc at 4:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Also - I know this may not be the route you want to go, but it may help for the short term. Have you looked into WIC, food stamps, etc.?

Answer by missanc at 4:11 PM on Mar. 13, 2011