Any one else in Md having a problem with enrolling or starting your child in pre-k?

My mother told me that pre-k was mandatory. So I called the Board of Ed and asked them directly. I was told that kindergarten to 12th grade was mandatory and anything else was optional. So after being told if I make more than $40,000 with 4 people in the house, I didn't qualify for their program anyway. It was suggested to take ds to a daycare center that offered some type of school-type of program. I proceeded to ask "so that's what happens to children of parents that make too much for the free program. Okay, so what happens when you make too much for one and not enough for the other?" Anyone else experience that problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yeah, pre-k is optional so you have to pay for that one. I wish it was covered like Kindergarten. I'll probably wait until Kindergarten for that reason.
    sunshinepraying

Answer by sunshinepraying at 6:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yup I experienced that when we were trying to enroll my then 4 yr old in pre k. We're also live in MD(Temple hills). We were told we made too much also which I thouht was sad. We used my sister address & put her in Dc chartered school. She's in a MD school now
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 1:16 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I thought about that until I saw Dr Phil. Someone else tried that and she was arrested. They were trying to say that it was fraudulent to lie about her dd's living arrangements. I would love to be able to do it and get away with it.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:27 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I live in MD.
    I thought Kindergarten was always necessary.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 3:42 AM on Mar. 13, 2011