How do I my 21/2 year old daughter to stop fighting sleep at night and nap time, when naptime has always been at noon and bed time at 8pm?

Tigera

Asked by Tigera at 6:27 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sleep cycles change with age. Maybe she is ready for a new time. Start watching for signs she is sleepy instead of sticking to your schedule.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Make sure that you wake her early and fill her morning before nap with activities that cause her to want to nap, sometimes children just aren't tired and forcing sleep on them is a punishment in their eyes. Make sure before bed you fill her little tummy try oatmeal before bed it sets heavy on the tummy and she should sleep more soundly.
    jdavis2

Answer by jdavis2 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• try using bribery such as reading a book to her. tell her if she doesn't lay down for sleep she doen't get read to.
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 8:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• She's probably ready for a change. Many kids give up naps completely by that age. Try not giving her a nap...I'm sure bedtime will come easier then.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 9:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My kids nap times can change from week to week. Just watch for the signs that she's tired. The other thing you can do is maybe call it something other than "nap time". For a few days, my 2 year old pitched a fit if I called it "nap time" so I started calling it "rest time". I have a few quiet toys in his room for rest time (stuffed animals and books) that he can play with as long as he stays on his bed and doesn't wake his sister (they share a room and she is 11 months so she still needs a nap). Some days he napped, other days he just needed the down time.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 10:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I agree with the pp. That's what I started doing with my older son, having "quiet time" we call it. He has to go in his room and lay in his bed but he can take some toys or books, whatever he wants. Then he feels like he's more in control I think. We do it at the same time my younger son takes his nap, so it gives me a little break too! As for bedtime, we have the same routine that we follow every night... bath, pickup toys, brush teeth, get in bed, read a book or two, sing a song or two, then sleepy time! It has worked really well for us.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 12:15 AM on Nov. 24, 2008