Do long distance relationships work?

I will be back every weekend and i trust him completely but he works weekends so our time will still be limited. I'm going for a job tht will last 6mos to a year. I guess i jus wanna hear any success stories and advice to make it work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• Very rarely from what I've heard and experienced myself. I say you should not put your hopes up too high for if the relationship disappoints you, you will fall down hard. I know a lot of "player" guys that also use the long distance excuse to cheat on women. I'm not saying yours does this but just keep in mind that it does happen. If it's truly meant to be, it will be no matter what happens. I've known people that just stayed friends while being apart and dated other people and when the time was right, things fell into place. I think a long distance relationship can get very confusing and can ruin anything you have. To keep it, I say just stay friends. Friendships last longer than most relationships and you can still learn about each other as friends.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:18 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• they can, sound like your will. best of luck
    minki111

Answer by minki111 at 3:25 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

minki111

• Good luck! *hugs* Sorry I have no success story to share, but I do believe it will work if you are both 100% committed.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 3:26 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• It depends on how committed you (both) are to making it work. When DH and I were dating, we survived my being away in college. Then we survived his going to basic and then CA for school. Then we survived him being in Iraq. I know the military situations aren't exactly the same, but the same level of commitment applies. Lots of phone time. Skype if you can. Even letters. You have to MAKE time for one another (just like if you're living together) and make a conscious effort to connect.

It CAN be done.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 3:32 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• i dont have any success in that area either, none of the long distant relationships ive been in has worked, and alot of them dont, but if yall love each other, and yall are committed to each other, and yall know that for sure, then it should work!
    MommyRach0810

Answer by MommyRach0810 at 4:38 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• YES! They can work as long as you both are committed, and want the same values and interests in your relationship. You both have to want to make it 50/50

I was in a 2 yr long distance relationship. Everyone around us said no it wouldn't work. But we wanted it the same and we were very dedicated tawards it! So it worked! Congrats and good luck.

Don't let anyone put you down, bad talk ya, or tell you different! Believe in true love it will make it work! Good Luck hope this helps :)
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 5:11 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• my fiancee and i made it work for a year and a half. He lives in South Africa and i live in the U.S. I don't have the same feelings anymore so I'm about to end the relationship but I think that has more to do with my need of independence and less to do with the distance. We've only spent a total of 5 months together since our engagement and it worked out just fine until my feelings changed. I did not feel the need to find any other male attention and I heavily doubt that he has ever cheated on me. I think that if you see each other on the weekends, it's not really a long distance relationships. With work, kids, and all the other things that keep us busy, a lot of couples who don't live together, see each other less than that.
    TiffanieK

Answer by TiffanieK at 5:48 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Well not really, but it you that have to make it workout
    nessa024

Answer by nessa024 at 6:15 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• when dh and I were still dating he moved 3 hours away, we talked every night on the phone, but only got to spend about one weekend a month together for a year. Then we moved in together, then he joined the Army and we spent 6 months apart during our first yr of marriage, then a year later he deployed. we have gone through 2 deployments, multiple training cycles where he is gone for weeks or months even at a time. To me those are still considered long distance relationships. f you both want to make it work, it will work.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 6:30 AM on Mar. 13, 2011