Night job.

Do you have one? How do you handle having a regular life and spending time with your kids when you sleep during the day and are awake when it's time for the rest of the world to go to sleep? Does your sleep pattern change on your days off? Describe how working at night affects your life.

TiffanieK

Asked by TiffanieK at 5:08 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• ive worked 3rd shift for 2 years. 11pm to 7am. its very hard. most people would say i have an unhealthy sleep life. I only work mondays and tuesdays and saturdays. monday and tuesdays i would maybe get 4 hours a sleep total. and saturdays after work i would get about the same. on my days off i tend to go to bed at like 8pm and sleep till noon the next day to catch up on my sleep. since ive worked thirds i do miss out on going out on the weekends but also somtimes i would be REALLY cranky exspecialy when i was on my period. the reason why i took my 3rd shift job is because 1 i needed a job to support my son and 2 while i was at work my son would be sleeping and not missing his mommy. and that way i wouldnt miss out in spending time with him. so best of luck if you do or might be getting a 3rd shift job. its has its ups and downs like every job does lol
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 5:32 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My night job didn't really affect me until I had a baby six weeks ago. I used to work all night (7p-7a) and sleep all day and didn't feel like I was missing anything. Now, I feel like I'm missing out on my baby's life. It breaks my heart to be away from her this long and especially to be sleeping while I'm home and still not see her. I'm afraid she's going to forget who I am or lose her bond with me. In fact, I'm so worried about it, I get only about 4 hours of sleep a day because I want to see her and spend time with her. I'm getting pretty exhausted. Sigh...sorry for the vent
    sydash11

Answer by sydash11 at 6:26 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• sydash11 she wont forget you. shes always thinking about her beautiful mommy. we are the biggest impact on our children. weve known them since they were a few months old in our bellies.no worries :)
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 6:29 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• no I am not a night person; my best time in the early morning
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:14 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• When my daughter started school, working at night was a breeze because after she would get on the school bus, I went right back to bed--and slept away ;) However, BEFORE she started kindergarden..it was TOUGH. I worked at night for years off and on (self employment tho), so I worked whenever I felt like it, but it was hard to get the sleep once I came home since she slept at night, therefore, I had really tiring days. But once seh was in school, it was easy to work at night. Note tho...I only have 1 child..which is probably why it wasn't hard once she got into school. I couldn't imagine how harder it would've been if I had more kids. lol
    psychicRaelene3

Answer by psychicRaelene3 at 10:21 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I did when my oldest was a baby. I would sleep for a couple hours when I got home, but then I couldn't sleep any longer, so I would get up and do things around the house and play with DD when she was awake. When DH got home and after we had supper, I'd go to bed for a couple more hours, and then get up and go to work. It was easy then because she was so little and slept all the time. I had pretty much no life outside her and my job though, lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 5:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2011