Breastfeeding a lazy nurser

Does anyone else have a lazy nurser on their hands? My little man is constantly falling asleep on the breast and I cannot for the life of me wake him up. So i let him nurse for 10 min, fall asleep and wake back up 15 min later to feed. We still get several full long constant feedings in the day, but sometimes he just wants to nip and sleep for a few hours. And you know what? I'm ok with that. I feel like if he wants to spend extra time with mommy, i should give that time to him. But, does anyone have tips for keeping him awake when I dont have time to let him be lazy?

kayceeisit

Asked by kayceeisit at 5:09 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/html/waking_a_sleepy_baby.shtml

This is a really great article on different ways to try and wake your baby to continue the nursing session. Good Luck and Congrats on the new one!!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:19 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Some say undressing him down to his diaper can help. When my little girl gets that way, I tickle her foot or stroke her cheek to try and get her to wake back up.
    sydash11

Answer by sydash11 at 6:21 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• the only thing i can think of is let him feed for 2 mins then take a break then start feeding him again. maybe he will feed longer. sorry if its not the best idea but its the only thing i could think of lol best of luck
    shellychivell

Answer by shellychivell at 5:21 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Undressing him so he's a bit cold and switching sides when he starts to slow down can help. Changing or checking a diaper can get them to wake up and finish their meal too.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:42 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I always changed the diaper after the first breast. That was enough to wake my son up so he would nurse on the second. You can also rub his foot to get him to nurse longer.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:24 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• great tips, thank you guys!
    kayceeisit

Comment by kayceeisit (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2011