Storing Breastmilk

For future knowledge, if I store my milk in the fridge, in the medela storage bottles that came with the pump, and then switch it to a born free bottle when I am ready to use it, is that okay? And do I warm it up just holding it under warm water?

Starzgurl4

Asked by Starzgurl4 at 7:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oh yeah thats totally fine
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 7:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• It's fine to store milk in the fridge, for a little bit. If your research breastmilk storage guidelines, you'll find lots of conflicting information. Some sources say no more than 2 days, some no more than 3 days. Dr. Sears, in The Baby Book, says that you can store milk in the fridge for up to a week. That's the guideline I follow. t can also be kept at room temperature for about 8 hours. And in a normal freezer, three months. But once you thaw previously frozen milk, you cannot refreeze it, though it can be kept in the fridge for a few days.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 7:39 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My experience has been for up to 3 days in the fridge, and don't thaw unless you intend to use it right away--otherwise what you are thinking is good.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:49 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• yes, that's just fine.
    also, be careful to not shake the milk in the bottle. you can gently swish it around but shaking can destroy some of the components of the milk. :)
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2008