What causes my laptop to freeze up?

it doesn't do it all the time, but it seems once a day it will.

jenn4443

Asked by jenn4443 at 8:33 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Technology

• Windows AKA the root of all evil caused my laptop all kinds of issues. I thought I needed a new laptop already after only a year, maybe, and then my husband put Ubuntu (Linux OS) on my laptop and it fixed every problem. Now, my browser will freeze every once in a while if I have a billion tabs open, but my computer doesn't and I only have to restart like once a week, and that's only for updates. I HATE Windows with such a passion.

Anyway, sorry about my mini-rant. Anu made good points about too many programs running. Windows doesn't deal well with more than one task at a time, especially if there are things running in the background. Have you checked on things like start up programs (things that automatically launch in the background when you turn your computer on)? I've known a few people who had all their messengers set to auto-sign on, as well as other programs, and their computers froze a lot.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:23 PM on Mar. 15, 2011

• Basically there are two causes for freezing of the laptop. One reason can be that are too many programs running at once.To solve this problem use less programs at once. Another helpful tip is to cut down on all the excess programs running in the background. This can be done by going to Start>>>Run>> and type msconfig. There you can view all the background programs running on your computer.

Second problem can be due to errors in the Windows registry. For this you need to show the laptop to a service engineer...

AnuMeha

Answer by AnuMeha at 8:50 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• in a mac laptop it can be overheating.
    pammomof9

Answer by pammomof9 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:39 AM on Mar. 15, 2011

• its a HP
    jenn4443

Comment by jenn4443 (original poster) at 7:11 AM on Mar. 15, 2011