Anyone with inverted nipples still able to breastfeed?

I have them, and have been struggling with breastfeeding. I would like to be able to do it without breast shields. Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes. get breast shells to wear in your bra in between feedings. they help to draw the nipple out. I only needed to use them for a short period of time.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:09 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Time and working with an IBCLC would be the best suggestion I have for you. You can do it (you are doing it)!! Congratulations on your new little one!
    mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:21 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• You'll want the shells with the narrower opening - about an inch in diameter. You might need to contact a lactation consultant to find them. (Most LC's sell them.)

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:21 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• The advice you've been given is great. Also, there is a product available called "supple cups" My friend used them with her youngest. Typically, they're worn during pregnancy, and somehow, they work to actually CORRECT the invert-ion (is that even a word? LOL) I don't know if it's advisable to use them after baby is born. I believe they're available through IBCLC's. My friend got them through our LLL leader, whom I believe is also a lactation consultant. I'd meet with an IBCLC, and inquire about them, and other things that you can do to help. Or, seek out your local La Leche League, the members and leaders are very helpful, and while there is a membership fee, you DO NOT need to be a member to attend meetings or to get help from leader.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:41 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• http://supplecups.com/
    Krysta622

• I use the Lansinoh Latch Assist (Amazon.com for approx. $9)......it is a simple tool to help your nipples temporarily stand out so that it is easier for your baby to establish a good latch, the first step to a successful breastfeeding experience.
    Small enough to fit in your diaper bag, the LatchAssist can help make breastfeeding easier wherever you go.
    It is gentle, self-controlled suction, the LatchAssist will temporarily draw out your nipple so your baby can more easily latch on and breastfeed.
    Congenial

Answer by Congenial at 1:47 AM on Mar. 14, 2011