Do you think the US shouldn't help Japan because of our debt and own problems?

I had seen some comments about how we shouldn't help Japan because we owe so much debt to China and we have our own problems to deal with right now. Do you agree with this? Should we help them?

My personal opinion is that we should help them. Not because we owe Japan 883.6 Billion dollars but because it is the right thing to do.

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 9:49 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, it is the character of America to help.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:54 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I will probally get some critizism for this but i think this country should come first, we are in so much debt and are always helping everyone else out, what about us? what about helping all the people here that are living on the streets and thier kids are going hungry.
    I do feel really bad for them and they do need some help but we are always coming to everyones rescue and there are other countries that can do so much more finacially.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I'm with you Jeremysmom. You never know when a disaster may hit us.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Theoretically, I do. However, they are now reducing troops in the military. The military is who goes to help. We are, hello, still deploying. They get a year or so down time between deployments. Well, the Army does, with year long deployments. At least that's how it works here, at Bragg. So, who's gonna go? Smaller units, I suppose. But, like I said in another post, there are so many people that bitch about how much the military costs, how much it spends. Who foots the bill to send the troops over to help? IDK, I figured it was the military. It's not so simple as to 'just go help'. There are logistics to it. I would LOVE if we could afford to go help when anyone needed us. However, that costs. And last I heard, everyone on here was bitching about the economy, how everything sucks. I know we owe everyone. I know they need help. But think about it. Logically, without emotion.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I agree with jenn4443
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 9:55 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• what about helping all the people here that are living on the streets and thier kids are going hungry.

I would say, that is the price we pay for electing progressives into office. And I don't mean just Obama.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:56 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I think fundamentally as humans we should help each other - no matter where on this earth you live. We have places here in the US for families to go if they need food, clothing or shelter. The people of Japan have been devastated and the tragedy is not really comparable.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:22 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Like jenn I know Ill get crap for my opinion but right now, no. I think we are in the red and cant even afford to take care of our own. However, I do think any American who can spare $5 or more should donate it. DH and I donated $50 which was all we could afford right now.

Answer by gemgem at 10:23 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My LP and I are not religious, but still try to give 10% to causes we believe in. Donating here is something we will probably do.

As far as the government goes, we are so far past "broke" there is no way we should be helping.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:07 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I am not opposed to helping when disaster strikes. I am opposed to pouring money down rat holes..like in Haiti. We already have military stationed in Japan, helping was an easy thing to do. The military spends money even if there is nothing going on..it is a good thing for them to put their training to use.

It would be nice if they forgave some of our debt or even if they lowered the interest rate a little. I doubt this will happen...just saying!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:11 AM on Mar. 13, 2011