Breast pumps??

i am prego with my second baby, the first baby we used formula and this time we thought we would use a breast pump but i have no clue what things u need to buy for a pump and how often do you pump? I am so confused

mommie_of02

Asked by mommie_of02 at 9:59 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You need storage bags to store your milk. I always breastfeed and then pump afterwards to empty thr breast. There is a great breast feeding group on here that knows boohoos of stuff. Good Luck! and Congrats!
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 10:03 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I spent like 300 on mine but it was so worth it, i pumped all the time but it all depends if you will be going back to work soon after the baby is born, when i was working i would pump 2 times in the 8 hrs that i was there. but i also pumped before that just to get a milk supply built up so i was able to freeze the milk while i was at home. I guess ti would best to talk to a specialist.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:04 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Perhaps your local La Leche League would have some good suggestions for you.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 10:06 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I choose the medela advance breastpump because it has a suction dial that you can dial down the pressure for times when the breasts are sore. You will want to purchase a nipple cream for use during the first several months, milk storage bags (I bought the self seal kind), breast pads, I bought extra cups and tubs because I worked and that way I could keep a set in the pump bag for use outside the home and I had a set for at home. It sucks if you take tha pump but forget the parts. The medela pump also has a car adapter that you can purchase for pumping in the car.
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Any Medela pump would be awesome. I had the Harmony, which is just a simple single hand pump, and for my purposes, it worked well. Are you working? Will you be pumping a lot or a little? If you'll be pumping a lot, a double pump would probably be best, and something mechanical can make things go faster. There are also bras you can put a pump in so that you can have your hands free. Don't pump for the first month, as your breasts are still adjusting, and figuring out what your new baby needs. From there, start to introduce it. Meet with a lactation consultant who can help give you a sense of how often you ought to pump. In general, pump when the baby would normally nurse while you're away from him/her. You can also pump while the baby nurses (baby on one side and pump on the other) to build up your freezer stash- I always got a TON of milk this way. Bear in mind that the pump is not as efficient as the baby (cont)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:41 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• (cont)

So never measure your supply by how much you're pumping. If you're only pumping 1-2 ounces, that's normal. If you pump while the baby is on, you may get 4 times that. I once got 8 ounces from one side while my son was nursing!! You can also pump after your baby eats. The reason I suggest pumping while you nurse is because you get a hormone release that really helps with let down while you're nursing. So you'll get MUCH more milk this way.

I'm a lactation specialist, so feel free to PM me if you need some support!

A couple of great online resources re kellymom.com and llli.org. Good luck!!!

breastfeeding

musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I've heard that the Medela "Symphony" really aids in let-down.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 4:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I'm using the Medela pump, it's inside of a hand bag so you can carry it to anywhere. I pump since day one. I pump maybe 3 times a day, and maybe breastfeed once a day before the baby goes to sleep. You need to buy bottle that fits whichever pump you are getting. Don't get storage bag yet unless you know you have a lot of breast milk, and sometime they leak. I have about 10 bottles so I always have empty one to pump. Bottle that fits Medela pump are evenflo, playtex venta air.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I agree you should check out some of the groups on here. They helped me a lot when I was nursing. A lot of women that know what they are talking about and will give you any answers you are looking for. Good luck, I hope it works well for you.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 6:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Here is some GREAT info: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/maintainsupply-pump.html

If you pump, you need to pump EVERY TIME baby eats from a bottle. Your milk supply is a supply and demand thing. If your baby gets a bottle, but you don't pump, your body will get the message that it doesn't need to make as much milk. Your supply will drop.

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2011