Epidurals?

I am pregnant with my second baby and with my first baby i had an epidural. they tried three times before they actually got it right. anyways after i had my daughter i had a terrible headache with the called an epidural head, i wasnt sure what that was then my ob told me since they punctured my spine so many times to get it to work that i had spinal fluid leaking. anyone else have this happen? I am not sure even if i want to get an epidural this time cuz i was in complete misery!

mommie_of02

Asked by mommie_of02 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I have had 3 epidurals....my first two were HEAVEN. Fabulous and made my labor wonderful! My last made me have a terrible epidural headache like yours!! It was torture!

So I think its the luck of the draw and how good your anesthesiologist is. If you think you can handle the pain then by all means! Go for it.

But if you cant....get an epi, explain to the Dr your problems last time. PRAY HARD for the best outcome!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:16 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I have had several complicated epidurals, I can say despite the pain after and even during the epidural it does not compare to the pain of labor and child birth as i delivered one child without an epidural I am expecting baby number 6 now and will have to have one as i am having a c-section, despite the affects it is still worth it to have one

I hope this helps :)
    Autumnrose1010

Answer by Autumnrose1010 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• oh my gosh that sounded just like my story only they put the epidural in wrong which made me leak spinal fluid I ended with 2 blood patches and in so much pain after. This happened with my second baby. She is 3 now and 2 this day I keep getting really bad headaches and lower back pain almost every day or every other day and noone can tell me what is wrong with me. I am pregnant with my 3rd and I am so scared to have another epidural, but yet I don't think I can take the pain since I don't tollerate pain well. Oh and mine they let a student do mine and they didn't tell me it was a student.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:21 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• actually if you go to my profile page and you go down to where my journals are and where it says the birth my second daughter I have my story on there of what happened.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I have never had an epidural, I guess hearing all the horror stories scared me out of them. Plus, my aunt now has arthiritis (I'm sure that is spelled wrong) in her lower back due to epidurals. I am so sorry to hear that you had a rough time with the after effects of the medicine. I am sure that everybody reacts differently. Hope you are feeling better now.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I had the same thing happen with my 3rd epidural(3rd son) I ended up needing to have 2 blood patches done because the 1st didn't work. I also had really bad muscle spasms for about 3 months after. I still had an epi with my 4th child and while I didn't have any leaking issues.....the epi didn't work very well.

how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:39 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My epidural with my son went great. The anesthesiologist was so nice and gentle and very quick. I was having super bad contractions and he got it done within the minute of my contractions being apart.
    kandimomma

Answer by kandimomma at 10:49 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• IM terrified to ever get a n epidual..ive had two babies both with just a single shot of nubain(pain med) im preggo with number 3 and being my last baby was huge and wide shoulders(hurt like he*l) i was thinking of getting one, but im highly claustrophobic? and not being able to feel my legs would not be good..and after reading this question i wouldnt do it for the fact that why would i do something to myself (other than giving birth) that would hurt longer than birth itself..and sticking a needle in your spine WTF!!!! crazy ladies...yes birth hurts but millions of women have done it with nothing at all...GOOD luck
    mckeemama

Answer by mckeemama at 11:30 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• With a family history of bad experiences with epi I deceided I did not want one. So I specifically asked questions on other pain options. When I was pregnant with my first they threatened me with a c-s if I did not progress so I asked for pain meds. They gave me an inerthical it is a shot to the outer portion of the spine and your body responds to it with in 2 contractions. You do not go completely numb you do not feel the pain of a contraction but when it is time to push you can feel what you need to feel. The shot lasts for 2 hours but both pregnancies I used it I was delivering at the or before the 2 hour mark. I plan this pain option with my current pregnancy.
    ChristyW3

Answer by ChristyW3 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Sadly, that's a relatively common problem. The best way to treat it is to keep your head lower than the rest of your body (it brings the CSF back to your brain, but as soon as you sit back up or stand back up, the headache comes back). I'd research other methods of pain management, and save an epidural as a last resort. Perhaps with that experience under your belt, you'll be more into another pain management method. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2011