Should we help anyone if THIS happens?

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/03/military-contingency-plan-government-shutdown-031111w/?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4d7b9b1baffbf8e1%2C2

I know, you have to copy and paste, sorry bout that.
It's about if the government crashes, guess what? The freakin military gets to go to work, with no freakin pay!!! And you really think that if this happens, we should send them ANYWHERE to help anyone else?
And until it doesn't happen, your you have concrete proof it ain't gonna happen, don't tell me it won't.

Raine2001

Asked by Raine2001 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• *or* you have concrete proof (sorry)
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I dont know if thatll actually happen. My dad was still serving when it happened under Clinton and I believe they did pay them. He doesnt recall missing a pay check back then. I was also married to someone enlisted in the army and dont remember losing pay. This is not the first nor will it be the last time this will have happened.

Answer by gemgem at 10:25 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• they didn't lose their pay that time. But, if you read the article, it says it will be different this time. They will lose it this time. But only if the shutdown continues to April 1st.
    Last time the government shut down was in 95. Hubby didn't lose pay then. I don't think. We actually met that month, so IDK. But, this isn't cool. Whether anyone wants to admit it or not, this country desperately needs the military. Many speak out about against them, one way or another, until their lives are in danger.
    If they don't show up for work, with no pay, they get charged as AWOL.
    I think if they get no pay, neither should any politician. The politicians don't save anyone's ass.
    Raine2001

Comment by Raine2001 (original poster) at 10:34 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I know I should know what this is but I'm pretty clueless. What is the worst case scenario IF the governement does shut down. During those shut down days all military personsel will be returned to their home and loved ones? All government funded agencies close their doors and no more services will be available? All politicians are force to return home to their loved ones without the benefit of all their governement perks? I really don't know what to expect. Thanks.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:50 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• They will get paid.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 11:00 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Relax! The military is considered Key & Essential the only way their pay can be disrupted is if the entire govt falls apart. I know this for a fact because my husband is high enough up the mili food chain to know these things beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Don't let the media/legislators try and scare you. If there are worries within your military units someone needs to speak with a commander and have him address/put to rest the issue with the troops.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:06 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Military=essential personnel.
    It would take a two week shut down for ANYONE to see a delay in their paychecks. Even then, they typically pay "non-essential personnel" for the time they spent home, as soon as the shut down has ended.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:17 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• We should already have STOPPED helping ANY other country a LOOONG time ago!! Never mind if a Govt failed. Charity starts at home, and untill America has NO starving, hungry, homeless, and poor, we shouldnt be giving out our precious resources to others who REFUSE to help themselves and rely on our charity.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:20 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Actually Jessie the article she posted stated the military AND essential employees will not get paid, but will get back pay should it happen. Her article is dated Mar 11, 2011, your links are from last month. :)

Anywho, I don't think it will happen because not only will it affect the troops and morale. but it would effect the local economies that the bases support. It would be a double wammy for the economy. The govt would be stupid to let that happen...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 13, 2011