Acid reflux

with my first baby i had extreme acid reflux and it has never gone away so my doctor gave me nexium it was wonderful until i got pregnant now with my second since i cant take the nexium my ob told me to take zantac but thats not really helping much any suggestions on what to do?

mommie_of02

Asked by mommie_of02 at 10:26 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I never had a problem with my oldest but the other one i would get heartburn over drinking water, I lived off tums. I guess just make sure they are safe and keep looking for what will work for you.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I took zantact and it worked well for me. I took one pill in the morning with a full glass of water then i would take a second one around 4 or so. Also try and stay away from spicy food and tomatoe sauce stuff and anything else with high acid. Sorry the pills arnt working i know how bad it is. I have had nights where i couldnt sleep it was so bad. Good luck to you hopefully you dont have too much longer to go.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 12:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Try eating smaller, frequent meals. void onions, garlic, caffeine, and chocolate. Why won't your doc let you take nexium this time? I had to take Pepcid through mine for the same reason, and that really seemed to help. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My doctor told me I could take pepcid. I also ate alot of tums.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I ate tums like mad. My doctor said to try drinking some baking soda water, it was supposed to help but I could never bring myself to do it. Milk seemed to help me but a lot of people say that milk causes heartburn but not in my case. Good luck, I know how awful this is.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 5:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I have a book of natural remedies and this what is in it for heartburn....
    1 cup of water / 1 teaspoon licorice root / 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger / 1 teaspoon dried chamomile flowers. It says in a small pan, bring the water to a boil. Add the licorice and ginger. Simmer for 15 minutes. Removed from heat and add chomomile. Cover and steep for 10 minutes. Strain into a teacup and drink. I am sure you can get the things needed from an herbal store. I don't know if this will work for your or if you even want to try but I thought I would share it with you just in case.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 5:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Chewable papaya supplements helped with my heart burn.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 8:11 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• You can take Nexium during pregnancy. My reflux got so much worse during my 2nd pregnancy, and the OB wasn't quite sure how to treat it, so she told me to see my GI doctor, who prescribed me Nexium. Zantac can help, sometimes you need to adjust the dose. I actually took both Nexium and Zantac during pregnancy, and still take them. I believe the max dosage for Zantac is 300 mg, so if you're taking 75 mg (usual starting dose), you might need to see about increasing it a bit.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• nothing really helped mine,... sorry
    asil

Answer by asil at 3:10 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I lived on tums but they never really helped
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:07 PM on Mar. 14, 2011