Do you feel that children should be sheltered from unhappiness?

LanaisSky96

Asked by LanaisSky96 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think we need to be careful about this. If a child has never experienced unhappiness, they will not know who to deal with it later in life.

I think that we need to teach them to deal with it. We need to talk to them about tragedies. I know when the earthquake in Haiti occured, I talked to my son about it and then he wanted to participate in an activity the school set up to raise money for relief. Several months ago, the house across the street from us burned down in the middle of the night. All the fire equipment woke my son up and he was scared. I didn't shhush him right back to bed, I talked to him about it. He asked if it could happen to us--I told him that it could, but we would do what we could to prevent it.

Kids need to learn that life isn't always rainbows and butterflies. But they also need to learn that know matter what, people will be there to help them.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:46 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yes to a point .children shouldnt carry a burden of unhappiness at a young age
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 10:53 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I think it really depends on a.) what age the child is, and b.) what the "unhappy" situation is. I couldn't really generalize this. For example, shielding a younger child from the unhappiness of not getting a toy they wanted or not getting to go somewhere they wanted to go is different than say, losing a loved one or other bad things (REALLY bad things) that go on in the world that they might witness or hear about and not understand. The age of the child also determines what kind of "unhappiness" is appropriate. Just my thoughts!
    CollegeMommy121

Answer by CollegeMommy121 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I think it depends on what the unhappiness is about. I certainly don't sit my kids down and make them watch the depression and gloom that has become the evening news...Hell I don't watch it myself. However there are some things that I can't shelter them from and it's better to allow them to experience some unhappiness so that they can learn how to deal with it when they're adults.
    AlliPerry

Answer by AlliPerry at 11:33 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I guess it depends on what you mean by 'unhappiness.' If you mean major tragedy, I'm not going to go out of my way to expose kids to graphic information about tragedies, murders, etc- though I do give age appropriate information about world events that are tragic. If you mean mundane, everyday unhappiness, I'm not going to shield them from that. Sometimes things go badly, sometimes we fail at things, sometimes we're bored, or sad, or disappointed. That's life. I think if we try to shelter kids from every single potential bump on the road, we will end up with adults who don't know how to handle normal setbacks or sorrows.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yes, to an extent. The world can be a pretty ugly place, and I don't see the reason to throw that a child earlier than necessary.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:34 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yes, they will have enough of it once they grow up......

Answer by older at 10:34 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yes from most of it for many years.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:35 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yes of course. I believe children deserve to be children and innocent of the world until they get to a point where they need to learn the evils of the world.

Answer by gemgem at 10:35 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yes of course. Kids are like sponges. They pick up everything around them, the imitate and internalize. Biggest mistake parents make is arguing in front of their kids and thinking they are to young to understand. They may not understand why or how, but they will understand that something is wrong.
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 10:37 AM on Mar. 13, 2011