Why hasn't my 10mo old BF baby grown in 5+ months?

My daughter is exclusively breastfed, and was a late-term baby born at a healthy weight. She gained weight normally and consistently up until she was about 4 or 5 months old, and then just stopped. She didn't grow slower, she stopped growing completely. She has been 27in and 16lbs for going on 6 months now!

I saw a nutritionist already, who said her diet sounded balanced & so did mine, but I upped her breastfeeding and added more variety to her solid meals anyway after the visit. In 5 weeks she gained 6 ounces on her increased diet.

In 2 weeks we are seeing the doctor for another weight check, and I think I will have them do a full lab test at that point (urine & blood tests) to see if there's something underlying that isn't obvious that could be causing it.

Has this happened to anyone? Suggestions for a possible cause? Anything helpful or encouraging? I am a worried mama!

TheAbbster

Asked by TheAbbster at 11:48 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just out of curiosity, what was her birthweight?
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My girls gain weight is spurts. My older girl was FF and weighed 15 pounds at a year old, my second girl weighed 11 pounds at 7 months old and weighed 16 pounds at a year and didn't gain weight for 4 months after that. My youngest weighs 26 pounds at 2 years old and has not gained wight for 6 months. I don't get concerned with weights babies grow at different rates just like older children do. She may be naturally petite.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:55 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• We didn't have your exact situation but we have had ongoing weight issues. For my daughter it was simply a matter of not eating enough combined with being a very slow eater so she feels full on less food. All of the tests came back just fine. As a baby, she wasn't ever a big eater. Then food introduction was difficult. She had texture issues right away. In the end, what has worked is that we put food in her mouth. She CAN sit at a table and self feed but if we left it to just that (which I tried doing) she only consumes about 1/3 of what she does when we give it to her.

All I can say is breathe and follow your instincts. You have support from a nutritionist and the doctor and they may have some great advice for you. Knowing the stress you are under, all I can say is good luck and I really hope you find some working solutions that will get your daughter gaining soon.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 11:56 AM on Mar. 13, 2011

• All of my kids grew crazy fast the first few months. As they approached one, they all leveled off or stopped. It sounds like you have done a complete check up on her. Maybe that is just how she is? My daughter is almost 7 and is 43 pounds but 49inches tall. She falls in the underweight category but eats healthy and eats all of the time! Try not to worry too much. If she is hitting key milestones and developing normally, I wouldn't worry too much about it!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• @tmn786 - she was 6lbs 14oz, 19 1/2 inches.

thank you for your answers! @Nonoluna- She is definitely not a picky eater, she nurses frequently (I bf "on-demand") and has 3 meals of solid food each day consistently, and she gets a lot of variety in her diet (I make my own baby food).

Anyway, I expect her to be somewhat small since I'm pretty petite myself (5'2" <100lbs), but I would like to see her grow even a tiny bit! Even petitie babies have a growth pattern that is normal for them. She just has no growth pattern at all! :-/
    TheAbbster

Comment by TheAbbster (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• If she's not LOSING weight, I wouldn't be concerned. By chance, has she become more active during that time? I had a similar situation with my son, he didn't gain in like, 10 mos, but he was healthy. I'll link you to my original post about it, but it's old, from 2008.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/6644777/Would_you_be_concerned_Updates_included

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• It is very normal for babies weight to level off and adjust to what will be "their" curve sometime between 6 months and 1 year. They are more active so they burn more calories, and they are more interested in doing rather than eating. My 2nd child was 7 lbs 11 oz at birth, and weighed only 15 lbs at a year. He's now a very healthy 10 year old, but where he had been between the 50-75% for weight between birth and 6 months, he dropped down to around the 5% for weight which is where he has stayed and is now. All of my kids dropped their weight % between 6 months and a year which worried the drs a little, but eventually they stabilized and stayed on what became a curve more in line with where they are genetically predispositioned to be (I'm petite as well and so is my ex)

Answer by missanc at 2:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• It sounds normal.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My 4th son was born at 8 pounds 3 oz and stopped growing around 5 months old. He was 12 pounds and not even on the charts...not even in the 1%. I called in Early Intervention because i noticed he had low muscle tone as well. I am going to school to become a developmentalist to work with developmentally delayed children so i was able to pick up on my sons delays. He has been seeing a dietition and is now 15 pounds at almost 11 months old. He is making progress, but we are doing tests to see if ther may be a reason for his delays. I think as long as your daughter is making some progress that everything should be fine. We already had blood tests done and urine tests, but in a couple of weeks we are getting an MRI done on his brain and spine. Good luck to you
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• if she was born 6 lbs, id say she is doing good for atleast doubling her weight before her first birthday. my oldest was also born at 6 lbs 9 ozs, and now at 4.5 years old weighs 32 pounds. her weightgain has come to a complete halt since last June. she is also predicted to be petite.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2011