Have any of you tried Colase?

DS has had a hard time pooping and it is all hard and clumpy and pharmacist suggested Colase. Just inquiring as per results.....

Amanda11810

Asked by Amanda11810 at 11:56 AM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know someone who was on it but haven't been personally. After delivery, I took docusate sodium to soften my stool though. Has your son's diet been modified to help his digestion? How is his activity level? Is he on a binding medication? I just wonder if you can avoid the medication completely with some other modifications.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 12:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• You don't mention how old your son is. I use Colace and a few family members do too. I am happy with it but don't need it too often. I have been told by a doctor that it is very safe and is not a stimulant like many laxatives. You can read a lot about it online. Check with your pediatrician first as the dose varies and the length you can use it varies. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• ds is 14 mos old and hasn't had any diet changes and is very active
    he however was still on homo milk and now we are doing 1/2 and 1/2 with 2%
    eats a lot of veggies and fruit
    and has meat 1 a day
    pharmacist said the milk may be the issue
    been offering lots of water and some juice
    Amanda11810

Comment by Amanda11810 (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I would assume 14 months is too young for Colace but only your pediatricain can answer that. I've heard Karo syrup helps (a teaspoon) and a little prune juice mixed with his other juice would help too.  Don't do both.

elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2011