Ok breast milk

i breast fed for 4 weeks and decided to go with formula because it was draining me. how long does it take to dry up because its been 3 weeks since i stopped and i still have milk.

lifeisgreatbut.

Asked by lifeisgreatbut. at 12:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• DO NOT use compression!!! It will cause clogged ducts and even mastitis!

Hon, in the 10 years since the birth of my first child, I have *never* stopped lactating. Just take it in stride.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• yeah they are...hhmmm no one's ever told me they got clogged ducts doing it...and i didn't. oh well stray away from that advice just in case lol. just take it in stride i guess. eventually you'll stop producing milk
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• OMG clogged ducts are VERY painful!!!!not helathy
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I nursed a LOT longer...about a year and a half, and mine has never fully went away either, but then again, its not like I have boobs full of milk. Just a few drops if I squeeze or a drop or two might come out on my bra on its own. It isn't uncomfortable or anything anymore.

After I stopped nursing my last, I wanted to cut my boobs off they hurt so bad. The doctor told me I could take benadryl or things with pseudoephedrine in it (like sudafed and some other cold and allergy medicines) to help my milk dry up.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• It varies. It can take a few weeks, a few months, even a year. DO NOT bind your breasts, because, as stated, it can lead to clogged ducts and mastitis. If you're not uncomfortable, then do nothing, and you will eventually stop producing. If you're uncomfortable, you can take Motrin for the pain, and use cabbage. You take a cold cabbage leaf, break the veins, and place it in your bra (one for each breast). Once they get warm and start to wilt, remove it, and if you need to, replace it. This helps with drying up. If you're considering using birth control, any BC pill with estrogen in it can help too. If you're VERY uncomfortable, you can express a LITTLE, I mean JUST ENOUGH so that you're comfortable. Removing the milk can make it take longer to completely dry up, but can be worth it if you're in pain.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• wear some tight clothes, at least a tight undershirt. that will help dry you up. yes, it will hurt
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:04 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• hospitals tell you to wear a tight bra if you want to ff. i know mine did 7 months ago. also use ice, do not try to get the milk out. and keep your boobs away from the warm water in the shower. i stopped lactating completely in 2 weeks. lactating for 10 years is not healthy.
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2011