How can I deal with my cats shedding?

It's Spring and my cats are shedding. I have tufts of hair all over my house and I'm having to sweep it up every day. I've got cat hair everywhere and it's driving me nuts. What can I do to speed up the process? They've gotten baths and I brush them but it doesn't seem to do any good.

AlliPerry

Asked by AlliPerry at 12:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Pets

• Shaving the cat will not make a differance. A couple abandoned their cat at the clinic where I used to work because he beat up their german shepherd and shed to much. When this cat came in he was shaved down even though he was a short haired cat to begin with and he still shed. Get a furminator brush and brush the cat regularly. The furminator is the best brush out there right now. It does an excellant job getting the undercoat. I have both cats and dogs and since using this brush there is less hair to deal with.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 4:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Shave the cat. Seriously, shave it. You have to brush them several times a day or get used to sweeping it up, or buy a buzz cutter and shave em really short.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 12:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Worst part of having cats, hands down. Never quite figured that one out... I haven't lived with my ex (who has the cats) for a year, and I swear I'm still picking their f***ing hair off of some of my stuff.
    Good luck.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I've got to agree with vbruno on this one...shaving is the only way to skip the shedding process. In my house, we just deal with the fur. I brush more and clean more but it's my choice.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 12:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• just gotta brush A LOT!
    I bought kitty treats for my cat and just sit there and brush him for like almost an hour till no more hair comes off, then gotta start all over again.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2011