School Field Trips

My son is in Kindergarten and they want to take them on a 2 hour one way field trip to see a concert and the parents can't ride in the bus with them and the kids can't ride with the parents. So is it wrong of me to not let him go because I don't feel comfortable about it? I just have a bad feeling and I really don't want him going. I'm confused!!!! I want to just keep him home that day so I won't be a nervous wreck!!! What would you do?

aheuszel

Asked by aheuszel at 12:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Let him go. Think of how he will feel when the next day, all his friends are talking about how much fun they had on the fieldtrip and he didn't get to go. Fieldtrips are an extension of the schoolday and lessons, so he should be going.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Keep him home if you don't feel good about it. Also be aware you're going to have to let go sometime though.

PS Is the concert open to the public? Could you get tickets and take him yourself, and sit elsewhere so the teacher doesn't see you guys, but this way your child won't miss out?
    Anonymous

• That's a long trip. I don't like that parents can't make the choice to personally drive their own children (I can see why they couldn't take another though) or be on the bus (although that could be for space issues). I would probably let my little one go but it sounds like there's no way your'e comfortable with that. Find out why they aren't willing to let you drive yourself and see if that can be arranged.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 12:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Nope, I would keep him home for the day and take him to the concert myself if he wanted to go without asking the school's permission. Public schools are becoming increasingly controlling, another reason why we choose to homeschool.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I wouldn't let my children go if I wasn't allowed to be there. I have a 5 & 8 year old, there is no way that I would let them go 2 hours away on a bus without me.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• who in their right mind wants to put a classroom full of 5 year olds on a bus for 2 hours!??!
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I understand parents not on the bus, but not allowing the child to ride with the parent is just ridiculous. Personally, I'd let DD go (she's to be in Kindergarten next year) and I'd be in one of the cars following the bus ready to take her home in my car in case she didn't have a good trip there. The school cannot NOT allow you to take your child home when you want to...be that at a field trip or not, just be sure to let them know and sign him out with whoever is in charge.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 12:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Can you volunteer as a chaperone?? That's what my DD K did when they went to a Farm about an hour away. A few parents and the teachers were on the bus, and a few parents drove b/c they didn't all fit on the bus. That way you can go to see what's going on. I didn't go b/c my DS was to young to take a long as well, but I did know some of the parents that went as chaperones, and the school nurse went with them. It was all good, and she had a great time!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:35 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yah that is bad planning...I hope they have alot of helpers...a concert? What if half of them have to go pee all at once? I guess that is minor, the 2 hour bus ride alone will be craz enough.I dont think I'd want mine going. And why cant you go if you drive yourself? That seems odd.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 12:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• It's your child. Regardless to what the school tells you YOU have final say in everything that relates to your child. If I felt as strongly as you did about the bus then I would absollutely drive him myself and attend the concert with him.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:41 PM on Mar. 13, 2011