Breast feeding in public

i was arguing with 2 men yesterday (so of coarse they didnt understand what i was trying to get at) about women breast feeding in public places, like restaurants. they were saying how they dont want women breast feeding next to them when their eating in a "fancy" place and that the women should stay home,breast feeding women get to eat to....sometimes they go out for family outings while they have to breast feed, or dont have time to pump before they go out.....but i do agree with one point how they dont want to see the lady sitting next to thems boobs, i kinda agree but i mean if the women has a blanket or something covering up it shouldnt matter, and i do know some babies dont like the blankets

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• canofworms breast feeding posts always seem to open up a can of somethin no matter what....

knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 1:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• i dont see the question...
    BF is LEGAL... and a right for mother & baby. there is no regulations on it either..
    Dont like it ... Turn ur head :-)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• It's just not the norm, so of course it makes people uncomfortable. I think if it became an everyday occurrence to see a woman breastfeeding no one would think anything of it.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I'm not really sure what your ? is but i don't see anything wrong with it as long as they are covered up & not exposing themselves. Personally me i would probably not be breastfeeding directly next to someone while eating or something.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 1:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• 1) Big difference between changing a diaper in a restaurant and breastfeeding in a restaurant - BREASTFEEDING IS NOT DIRTY OR GROSS. It's clean, organic & healthy! Or else you wouldn't be giving it to your baby.

2) Lots of women leave the house in short skirts, booty shorts, low cut tops, go jogging in a sports bra, and even pose nude in playboy. Nobody complains. So anybody having a problem with me breastfeeding (as long as I'm not sitting there with my entire breast hanging out uncovered for all to see) can go suck it.

There are laws protecting us from being discriminated against for breastfeeding in public, educate yourself and then those ignorant men you were arguing with! They sounded very offensive and close-minded.
    TheAbbster

Answer by TheAbbster at 1:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• sorry i was typing fast this is just a vent about what happened yesterday
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I never wanted to breastfeed in public because to me it's a modesty thing. Also, I can see the point of not wanting to have a woman who does not use discretion (and yes, there are plenty of them out there) breastfeeding at a table next to me. Just like there are things you don't discuss at the dinner table, there are things you don't do and making a spectacle out of breastfeeding is one of them.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:11 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Breastfeeding moms should just cover up with a blanket or one of those special cover ups they make just for that. As long as you can't see the baby feeding or see the tit, it should be ok as long as mom & baby are covered up.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Get a breast pump I totally agree with your guy friends. Tell me what a horrible person I am but pump your milk before you go out or find a private place to go
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 1:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• There's just no winning with this topic. Opinions...Opinions...Opinions...

I don't care either way. I have no issues with a woman breastfeeding in public. I don't even care if I see a boob at any public place(even though I'm not comfortable with showing mines in public without a blanket). I don't have a problem with people who express their disgust about public BF. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. But I will say this, if someone approaches me complaining about me or any nursing mother BFing a baby in public, especially in a place where both nursing and FFing are welcomed/allowed, I'll tell them him or her where to shove it.

LanaisSky96

Answer by LanaisSky96 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2011