"Affect" vs. "effect" . . .

I see a LOT of misuse of both words, as in, "this is going to effect the country".

In most cases, "affect" is a verb. "Effect" is a noun.

Example: The *effect* of Hurricane Katrina was that it *affected* a lot of people.

A natural disaster does not "effect" people, or a country. It "affects" it (verb). OTOH, natural disasters *have an effect* (noun) on people, not "have an affect" on people.

Here's a link with more information:  http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/affect-versus-effect.aspx

tinamatt

Asked by tinamatt at 1:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in

• Thanks for the grammar course
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• There was a sign at my bank that used effect when they meant affect. I pointed it out to the teller & she took the sign down lol
    Anonymous

• This is great. I straighten these things out in my mind, then they get jumbled again. A refresher is good!!
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I see that too! I had a teacher in school who was really strict about it so I never forgot it.
    Other one's that get me are,
    You don't loose weight, you lose weight.
    It's not, me to, it's me too.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yep. Grammatical errors get to me too. The other thing that bothers me is spelling errors. UGH!
    AlliPerry

Answer by AlliPerry at 1:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• On this site I've learned to let grammar faux pas go! Otherwise, I'd go crazy!! LOL :o)

Text speak is my pet peeve! Ugh!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• The ones that get me are too, to, and two; as well as they're their and there.

You write a letter TO some one. Too is interchangeable with also, in my mind. And, two is a number.

They're is a contraction of they are. Their is indicating something belongs to two or more people (their house, their car). There is indicative of a place.

*gets off her soapbox*
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Thanks for the clarification! I know I make mistakes on a message board with those, but I am pretty sure people understand what I am getting at.

Answer by gemgem at 1:39 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Thanks for this very helpful reminder. I've never quite mastered the difference between affect/effect. I've saved the link you provided to favorites so I should always be able to at least on CM type the right word.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 1:53 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Isn't English grammar/spelling a pain in the neck sometimes?
    tinamatt

Comment by tinamatt (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Mar. 13, 2011