Comments on disabled people. Martin Harty said he was just joking. Was he really?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/10/martin-harty-suggests-sen_n_834316.html

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't agree with what he said, and if he is sane. There is still that little thing called free speech.

No one said he isnt free to say it. But he is not fit for office

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:48 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Well, if he has a verified case of dementia as per a medical professional, shame on his constituents who elected him- If he has medical condition that affects his mind, he can not be held accountable for his words AND he can no longer serve in the capacity for which he was elected.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Dimentia or not clearly he's not fit to be making decisions.

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 6:45 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I "love" how they're "only joking" when they get flak for an inconsiderate comment?! It's always amazes me when people who have made a career out of public speaking, often fail to engage their censor button!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I have to agree with Carpy.
    Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 1:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I agree with Carpy too.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 2:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Even at the start of dementia and Alzheimer's you blurt out things, and then later on you can't figure out why you said that.

Often times that censor button does not work anymore.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

I heard some things out of my dad, as you know Natesmom, that I was just totally shocked to hear from him. That was just before he died after the surgies.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:12 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• He's SICK! and not in a "OMG the evil man said something bad" way. In an "Omg, I hope I don't ever go through that and have somebody judge me for it because I'm old and infirm and losing my mind" kind of way.

My Grandma passed after they tried to operate on a brain tumor. She used to call my answering machine fifteen or twenty times a day. At first I would call her back, and she'd want to talk for an hour, confusing me and my mother, and yelling at me because she thought "i" was on drugs. I would hang up, and she'd call back almost immediately, or at very least within the hour, and yell at me for not returning her calls.

My grandma was a good lady, but her mind passed long before her body. Someone should be trying to help that poor man, instead of worrying about who he's offended.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• How can they be? Because by the accounts of his collegues, he is obviously suffering from dementia or alzheimers.  You would be shocked at what people are capable of saying with either of these.  If you have never seen a loved one suffer from either, then you know that they are generally not the person that they once were in their minds.

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2011