Do you use dried beans in cooking? How?

CoffeeWriter

Asked by CoffeeWriter at 1:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I soak my beans overnight in the crockpot, then drain in the morning and add more water and salt. I like them unseasoned this way because I make big batches so I can freeze them in place of using canned all the time. I think they taste better, although I do keep canned on hand just in case. Also its insanely cheaper to go this route.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• This is how I do it. A crock pot full of water. Onions, garlic. seasoning and of corse bean of your choise.  Cook tell they are soft.

Answer by louise2 at 1:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I always start by soaking them in cold water overnight. Change the water in the morning. Put them over low heat and simmer stirring occaisionally about 2- 21/2 hours. For pinto beans and Navy beans (small white beans) I put bacon, salt pork or a ham bone in . I don't salt until the very end. Things like Lentils and slipt peas don't have to be soaked overnight. They just go in a pot of soup and cook relatively quickly.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• You have to hydrate them, you can do this by letting them simmer in pot of water for an hour, then turning off heat & letting them sit for another hour in water. Then you can use them in whatever recipe you want & add spices etc to taste.

Personally I use beans a lot as a baby food base! Kidney beans with spinach is a favorite for my daughter! (very rich in iron!)
    TheAbbster

Answer by TheAbbster at 1:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• All the time! I make black bean or lentil burgers, soups, stews, chili, bean dips (hummus, black bean, layered, etc), beans & cornbread, all sorts of stuff... let me know if you want any recipes.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• They're very easy to make. I buy the bags at the grocery store and then just follow the cooking directions on the bag. We eat them plain, or use them in salads, burritos (black beans), casseroles, etc.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:53 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I have always used dry beans. I don't usually soak them over night tho. I just add water, salt a ham hock and cok slowly until done. In this day of high food prices, dry beans are a bargan.
    grammawjo

Answer by grammawjo at 2:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I use black beans to stretch hamburger, I use a variety for a variety of other things.
    Anonymous

• Stews, chili, soup, burritos, etc.
    Send me a message if you would like some recipes

Answer by rkoloms at 9:49 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I tend not to use dried because of the soaking issue but use canned beans (thoroughly rinsed) routinely.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 1:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2011