Is a 2 year old child able to understand rewards such as...

if I was to set up a chart, if she picks up her toys she gets a sticker, and rewarding good behavior,....at the end of the week she can get a prize? I would like to start doing this, but not sure if she would understand?

she will be 3 in july. If you don't think this would work, what are other suggestions?

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 1:29 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I thnk she will be fine and enjoy to do things for rewards. My girls did and did the sicker rewards and then had stuff from target dollar bins and dollar store little items. Keep things easy like just picking up toys, getting stuff ready for bathtime, help with the easy stuff like setting the table. Start out small and see how things go and then work in other chores when she gets older. I found my three girls did more with a reward chart instead of just asking them to do things over and over again. Give it a try since and see how things go.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I use stickers as a reward but the stickers tend to get moved if I put it in chart format. My dd will be 3 in May. Hopefully it will start to work soon though. I would try it and see if it works out. It just might. :)
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 1:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• The sticker can be the reward. You don't have to spend money or bribe her.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:34 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• ABSOLUTELY!!! I have a sticker chart for my 2 1/2 year old daughter. she now puts her dishes in the sink without asking, etc....I have a box that we decorated together that has useless toys for "prizes" in them...she likes just being able to pick them out herself. It's had the biggest affect on her as far as discipline :)

@skittles...it's not bribery and you don't have to spend a bunch of money either...I go in the dollar section and buy just whatever. Like I said, she feels like a big girl being able to pick out her own toy.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yes, but when you start make sure that the "reward" is something that is relatively easy for her to achieve (like 3 days instead of a week) and then eventually increase the days. You don't want to make her think that the reward is out of her reach.

Answer by missanc at 2:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• A child understands anything that you teach them. (Obviously some areas may be harder for them to understand at first) A child comes into this world only knowing a few things. When to sleep, when they're hungry, and to have bowel movements. Natural instincts are all that they understand. Everything else is taught by environment or parental involvement. If your child is six months old and you teach them sign language then they're going to sign. If your child is a year old and you instill time outs as a punishment they're going to know time outs are a punishment. Everything that you bring into the home as a manner of learning will be instilled in that child. Whether you do it directly (teaching her, her alphabet) or indirectly (the use of improper language) she will soak that in. Especially if it's repeditive.

So yes, if you set this up and you instill this new plan in her she will understand.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• What skittles1108 said.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2011