My two year old dd thinks using the toilet is gross, this is keeping her from potty training...help

Once she ran to the bathroom and used her potty all by herself but she was sooo disgusted by it she refuses to use it again. She said "eww mommy nasty!" and thnks it's gross. She's 2 1/2 yr old and I reAlly want to help her understand it's ok and a great thing to do but so far not much luck. Once I notice her pushing in her pamper I immediately tIe her to her potty of course in a fun and gentle way but she gets upset. But all she's says is gross and won't use it. Her potty is a singing one and she loves that but as soon as she looks at her pee or poop she gets upset if she does use the potty which is extremely rare . What can I do? Oh and yes I do praise her heavily when she even does.

ProudMammaMia

Asked by ProudMammaMia at 1:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does she watch you sit on the toilet? That might help her understand that it's something we all do. She also may just need to have a ring for the toilet as opposed to a potty. It curtails independence but if it works, it might be worth a try.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 1:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Get her a potty seat that goes ontop of the real potty. Tell her yes its nasty so flush it down the toilet. I just got my 2 1/2 yr old her own with a step stool so she can do it all by herself and she got potty trained 100% in just 2 days!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My daughter LOVED this book: My Big Girl Potty. *I* loved it for the tips in the back.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• What the first poster said.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• She sits down at the toilet when we sit, she's directly infrong of me so we are face to face. I encourage her too but she will just sit there and say eww gross. She doesn't want to be on the big toilet. It frightens her because she sees it as a big black hole and it's high up so thats actually worse. She is kind of a clean freak like me as far as wanting to have clean hands and stuff and she just sees this as completely off putting and gross. Even when ahe poops in her diaper she's disgusted. I'll have to check out that book because I really want her to be further off in this process. Thanks
    ProudMammaMia

Comment by ProudMammaMia (original poster) at 5:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2011