Would you rather he see them as sexual objects??

S/O BFing in public-

"It's not me I'm concerned about it's my son seeing something he shouldn't "

The simple fact is that breasts do not play in intergal part in coupling- they are not inherently sexual objects. They are for EATING, for FEEDING INFANTS AND CHILDREN...

Would you prefer that your child have a HEALTHY view of normal biological processes, or simply sexualize women?

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 1:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Well I breastfed mine & my kids saw their sister breastfeed her kids and they know breasts are for feeding babies. I mean what else should they be seen as being for? I think it is alot healthier, not to mention it played into my own dd decided to breastfeed her babies. It was a no brainer for her, she knew well mom did it so its healthier and just whats done.

Answer by gemgem at 1:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I didn't participate in that debate and have nothing against breastfeeding whatsoever.

However, I don't understand your whole POV on breasts...are you saying that your SO does not find sexual pleasure in your breasts? I think it's totally normal for men to see breasts as both functional and pleasurable (or sexual objects if you prefer). My husband completely supported me in breastfeeding our 2 children, but he also really likes my boobies, if you know what I mean :-)

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I agree with vicesix. Speaking for myself, I breastfed but I certainly don't mind my DH finding my breasts sexy and I most definitely become aroused sexually when he pays specific attention to them. Don't You?
    AlliPerry

Answer by AlliPerry at 1:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• As men do vice lol. But would you worry about your son seeing someone breastfeed? Is that harmful? I dont think it is. None of my 3 boys were damaged by seeing it growing up and believe me I know they like girls with boobies lol. I have met their gf's.

Answer by gemgem at 1:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I don't have a son gemgem, so I can't answer the question from a "been there, done that" POV. However, I think if I did have a son, I would probably prefer that he not see a fully exposed breast and nipple during breastfeed or otherwise. It would not bother me if a woman was partially covered at all. But hell, I'm a modest gal and I don't even want to see some lady's nipples hanging out in a restaurant or something. I do consider breasts to be a more personal part of the body, not because they're sexual exactly, just private, in the same way I don't walk around with my ass hanging out either.
    BTW, I did breastfeed in public...I just always used a little blankie to make sire I wasn't flashing anyone.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• They're just breast. My son is two years old right now. He wouldn't know the difference, unless someone comes along and introduce the tabooish stigma behind breast in society. Some people act as if they've seen a woman take her breast out of her child's mouth, then shoved it into her DH/SO/DF'S mouth in a public place. There's nothing sexual going on. I respect everyone's opinion, but I encourage people to address why they have these hang-ups in regards to certain things. Remember, if something wasn't taught to you or learned during your upbringing, do you actually think you'll feel the way yo do today? This question isn't towards you OP :)

LanaisSky96

Answer by LanaisSky96 at 1:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I BF my 6 month old. I dont hide in my room away from my older kids (2 1/2yrs and 18months) nor do I teach them that they shouldnt see it. My dds actually try to breastfeed their babies! I dont tell them not to, one time my moms boyfriend tried to tell them no but I told him that breasts were made to feed babies not bottles. its disgusting that people think they should be shamed to feed their children...
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I believe they are both. Part of the reason it turns men on is because they are functional. If breasts weren't at all sexual, women wouldn't worry about getting breast implants, and lifts and so on. So I think there needs to be a balance.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I don't know what post this is directed towards, nor do I usually get involved in these posts. However, I do want to point out that as someone who breastfed at least one of my children, I would have never dreamed of whipping out my boob in a public place without a cover. I believe in privacy. I also respect others' enough to know that some people, such as the older crowd, do not appreciate seeing a boob either... baby or no baby attached. It's just not necessary. There is always a cover... why not use it??
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• you're getting very worked up over this hun. go change your tampon
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 2:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011