If you homeschooled for PreK.. But sent them to K..

Im just curious how much did you little one know when they went into Kindergarten?
Did they seem bored when they first went to school?

What is there to do for a kid in Kindergarten who is almost reading (or is reading) and knows colors & counting & shapes & can do simple math...

I enjoy teaching my daughter at home, but im afraid if she learns too much she will be bored in Kindergarten! and if i stop teaching then I feel like im doing a disservice to her for NOT teach her what she is capable of.

Also she has a late bday, so she wont be starting school until she is almost 6!

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• In my humble opinion, you can NEVER teach a child too much. My DD is 2 1/2 and can count in spanish and english...knows ABC's in sign language. knows about 50-75 words in sign language and knows shapes, colors, etc....I don't care if it's "too much"...they are little sponges and need to be taught whatever you can teach them :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Teach your child the way you want. If you send them to school afterwards and shes above then they will just move her up a grade.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Don't stop teaching!!! She may be more advanced than her peers and that's ok. It's her teacher's job to make sure your daughter is learning at her level!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Many of the kids in pre-k are reading and doing simple math. The teacher should be able to adjust and challenge her.
    Socialization and working in large and small groups may be what will keep her interested.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 1:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I'd teach her whatever you want. She will be learning a lot of social skills once going to school. I'm sure she won't be bored!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 1:56 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• She should be able to read short beginner basic books, know colors/shapes, count to 50, recognize numbers when she goes to kinder. So, what you are doing will help her out well. If she is ahead do not encourage them to bump her up a grade she most likely will not have to maturity for the next grade and that will be a disservice to her.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011