Your Child(ren)s school

I work fulltime and drop my son off at school and pick him up from his afterschool program everyday but its very rare I will get a chance to have lunch with him or give 30 mins of time to interact in the class.

My brother and his wife are always at one of their 3 children's school (we just have one child) and my brother works fulltime (self employed)

How often do you get to spend time at your child(ren)s school?

virginiamama71

Asked by virginiamama71 at 2:22 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am normally there at least once a week since I volunteer in my dds class. I arely have lunch there but will sometimes also have breakfast with her class 1-2 times a week if I have nothing else planned. Right now I am actually there every day. We are in the middle of a fundraiser that runs through the 29th.

Answer by gemgem at 2:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I have two in elementary and one in middle school (and 2 little ones at home). I go in every other week to eat lunch with my 2 in elementary (their lunches are back to back) and then I volunteer whenever either of their teachers ask and go on all the field trips. For my middle schooler I go in much less often, maybe once/month to have lunch and then I go with him to Special Olympics every year and 2-3 field trips (he's in a special ed class and they do community field trips very often).

Answer by missanc at 2:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I helped out at my kids preschool sometimes, but now that my DD is in 1st grade there is nothing for me to do up at the school during the day.

I do volunteer for the PAC stuff if they need help at an event. I don't really want to be at the school during the day b/c I'd like my kids to feel it is their place to grow and be independent. I don't think it it's good to be breathing down their necks half the school day. We are very involved with her homework and in contact with the teachers, so it's not like we are tossing them to the dogs or anything. My DD has just blossomed at school, and if I had been around to much I feel she would still be hiding behind me when spoken to.

My DS is very social and well behaved, but tends to act up if I am around. So when he goes to K next year I will not be in the classroom there either.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I only go for special occasions, like class parties, and that's only sometimes. I have 2 boys at home with me, and the school has already made it clear that younger siblings aren't all that welcome in a newsletter home to parents at the beginning of the school year.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I did during pre-K and k-1, but since I work days now I don't get to as much or at all. I miss it, but gotta pay bills.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I do get a chance to go for the class parties and anything after school but would love to be able to show up for lunch w/ my son atleast once a week
    virginiamama71

Comment by virginiamama71 (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• parents are allowed to eat lunch with their kids at school? i seriously had no idea.....my elementary school i went to never let parents on campus unless the kid was getting checked out or the teacher wanted to talk to them......actually none of the schools i went to let parents on campus unless the kid was being checked out or being brought burger king or something and even then the kids got called up to the office and then came right back to class
    Lizzypuppylove

Answer by Lizzypuppylove at 2:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• The school system I work at doesn't alow parents to eat with their kids. The parents are only allowed past the lobby/office if they check in with the office ,are given a badge and have a current CORI on file.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Never. The only time I'm there is for open house and PTC (when I can go...missed the first one this year). My kids ride the bus and I don't volunteer because I have younger kids at home. I don't believe in stopping by the school or having lunch with them. It's distracting. My parents never did that with us. I would have been mortified if my mother showed up at school and would have been laughed at.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• For fundraisers we get together with my son's peers and other parents once or twice each month. Sometimes less. Parents are not encouraged during school hours because of the type of school it is. They have a very specific method of instruction so if it is not a planned event or talk then it is appreciated for parents to not disrupt the learning process. Parents are welcomed if there is a specific reason. I have two days out of the week where I am available if the school needed me. This weekend parents spent ours creating a garden and fixing up the yard.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2011