What would you do for a birthday party if you had limited money?

Our 4 year old sons party is in one week. We had planned on getting pizza with food stamps from Papa Murphy's and drinks and all that and buying the cake, plates, etc. with money. I already sent out the invitations and now that its closer to the day...we realized that we wont have enough money or food stamps to do it all. Dh said just a cake and drinks. Is it ok to do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Holidays

• Absolutely! It's not about how much you can do... it's about the birthday boy having a good time! And I'm sure he'd have a great time just playing with other kids and eating cake.
    I'm in the same situation. I have no job and no money, and since I don't get to have my son stay with me, I want to throw him a birthday party so I can spend time with him and have friends with kids come over, who don't know his dad and weren't invited to his party. All I'm going to do is have people over for a couple hours, bake him a cake, and get some healthy snacks.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Sure. Maybe you can also go to dollar tree or dollar general and get a couple of bags of chips.

Answer by gemgem at 2:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I agree with going to the "Dollar Store"! They have so much B-day stuff!
    mom2twingirl797

Answer by mom2twingirl797 at 2:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I think a cake and drinks would be fine.
    ss1436

Answer by ss1436 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• When people rsvp, make sure they know that it will be cake and drinks only so they can eat ahead. It will be just fine! My only suggestion is to serve the cake closer to the beginning or middle of the party instead of the traditional wait until the end.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 2:44 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I had my daughters b-day party on limited funds a couple of weeks ago and let me tell you....The Dollar Tree/99 cent store goes a LONG way, we were able to buy streamers, balloons, themed paper plates, ect and even little things for a goody bag....but if this is still a little too steep cake and drinks are fine...at 4 yrs old as long as some other kids are coming, thats all they really care about lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• do what u can i doubt anyone will be bothered by it i am in the same situation!!
    Ericaca

Answer by Ericaca at 2:47 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Drinks and cake are just fine for 4 year olds.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Of course cake and drinks would be fine. I did something similiar for my 3 yr old. Just invited his 5 friends, called it a play date, had cake and ice cream, few snacks, and they had a blast!
    gutterflower585

Answer by gutterflower585 at 2:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Depends on the time. If the party is at noon, I would expect to be fed. At 2pm, I wouldn't. Make a cake, or cupcakes; then hotdogs and baked beans or something similar. 4 years olds love cheap food, so I think no one would expect much. You can make a cake for half of the cost to buy one.
    camiam81

Answer by camiam81 at 2:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2011