Anyone else have a 2 year old that doesn't talk?

My now 2 year old doesn't speak as much as she's supposed to. She was involved in a car crash when she was 8 months old and her face was broken in three places and i dont know if that is a caue.

AmyRenee1

Asked by AmyRenee1 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Consult a doctor, she should be talking by now.

Answer by older at 3:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• What has the doctors said about this?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 3:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My granddaughter made no attempt to talk until about 2 1/2. She just turned three and is just now starting to form sentences you can understand. She did have her tonsils and adenoids out in November and she had tubes put in and that seemed to be the issue with her. Have you checked all those options? What did the Dr. say? Ours told us not to even be concerned until she turned three. Then at three, we could start speech.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I'm thinking you must have talked to the pedi about this...right? Is the pedi concerned? My pedi had us call and get early intervention services when my DS wasn't talking at 1! He's 3 and a half now and still getting speech services.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I've talked to them. We've done speech but they weren' worth a hoot. they just made her copy basic sounds and said she was ok. im in the process of speaking to another speech therapist. We've also had her hearing checked and they said thats fine. She's saying more than she used to but she's still way way way behind.
    AmyRenee1

Comment by AmyRenee1 (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Our 2 year old did not say anything that anyone could understand, it was complete gibberish. We took him to speech therapy and started to notice a difference after about 6 months. After 2 more years he is almost where he should be.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My firstborn didn't say much until about 2 1/2. Then he started trying to talk. He just wasn't interested. I would say if you are worried, talk to a doctor. But if she is doing well in other areas, and you aren't that concerned, just wait it out. Every child is different, and yours may fall a little out of the normal range. My first two sure did!! My third boy (baby #4) is already starting to babble. It is SO strange after my first 2.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 3:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Maybe see a different doctor.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I have a neice who didn't start putting sentences together until she was 2 1/2. Her not speaking though was a result of a broken home so I don't want to say it was normal but she turned three in january and she has almost exploded overnight in her vocabulary and her communication.
    Humanerror99

Answer by Humanerror99 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I didn't talk until two but then started using near perfect English because I wanted to get it all right. Sounds like you are doing as much as you can for your DS, and its hard sometimes not to worry but delay doesn't always mean a problem, it just means a delay. I would keep going with a new speech person and be patient.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 14, 2011