No Fail policy's in the school systems??

I want to get more info on the No Fail Policy. I would like to understand it better. I didn't know about this until I decieded to keep my child back and I started talking to other people that said that if I didn't keep him back then the school would of just let him go to 1st grade.

jnb71584

Asked by jnb71584 at 3:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I work in a high school, if kids fail to pass enough classes to reach the required credits they do not graduate. They can return the next year to try again, or take some online courses for credits. The school will fail and keep back students.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 3:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Our state has requirements and do fail kids all the time and hold them back. We have end of grade tests and in certain grades they are called "gateways", if they dont pass those gateway tests it doesnt matter if they are straight A kids otherwise, they wont be going forward.

Answer by gemgem at 3:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• In my school system we do not fail unless we are certain that it is necessary...and even then we agonize over it...research shows that it is more harmful to the student in some cases. It has to really be thought about and all parties have to be in agreement. Once a child has been held back at the elementary level, they are not allowed to be held back again until they move into middle school. IDK what goes on up there.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I don't understand this myself. I am planning on looking into it too.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 4:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• We are having this same problem with my first grader. She seems to be struggling so we are holding her back. Good luck on your search
    CharityTipton

Answer by CharityTipton at 5:08 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• It's the "no child left behind", they do not hold students back unless the parents ask. If you don't hold your kid back and they have problems the beginning of the next year you can ask for them to go back to the last grade. Not sure how middle school works but in high school they have to have so many credits to go on to the next grade level, they don't have to repeat any class they did good in, just the ones they failed. Say your 10th grader failed a math class they needed, the next year he would have 11th grade classes with his 10th grade math class. He could choose to have all 11th grade classes during school and make up the math class on the internet. If he passes all he moves to the 12 grade and can graduate with his class so long as he passes all of his classes for the year.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 6:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• here they fail if they cannot pass our state test in elementary school. in 9 th grade i had study hall for every class but one because i was told because of the bullying i was suffering from that i would have to drop out at 16 :( so i gave up why try when your not gonna get to graduate. they still passed me on to the tenth grade. i thought maybe since the bullying stopped i could improve my grades and get to graduate. i was forced to quit :( and i hate it. but i did go back and get my GED but it just did not feel the same.
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 12:26 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Also known as 'social promotion' they won't hold a child back, even one who clearly didn't learn the grade level material, thinking it will scar their little personas to be held back. So much better to struggle with not knowing what's going on in class year after year. smh.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:57 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I am not sure what you mean.
    cleanaturalady

Answer by cleanaturalady at 9:46 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I have not heard of a no fail policy.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:24 AM on Mar. 16, 2011