Do video advertisements in a store change what you buy?

There are a couple of places that I know of that have adverts running in the store (McDonald's, Tim Horton's, video stores) and I was wondering if those ads encourage you to buy more, change your order or just give you ideas while you're shopping and/or waiting in line.

Nonoluna

Asked by Nonoluna at 3:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Shopping

• No. Actually, the only type of advertising that may prompt me to become interested in an item is something I've seen while watching TV or hear about on here. Otherwise, anything in the store has no bearing on what I buy. I already know what I want when I go into the store.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I can't stand those in-store TVs! I feel like they're trying to manipulate me, so I'm completely unreceptive to their messages.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Nope. I feel like it's subliminal advertising to get the weak minded sheep to buy things they dont need or dont really want.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:33 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• They normally just freak me out. They always seem to catch me by suprise.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 9:48 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• No, there is absolutely nothing (TV store ads, television ads, magazine ads, infomercials, telemarketers) that pursuades me. I hate advertising with a passion! Like vbruno above, I feel it is nothing more than lying, intended to brainwash the weak to buy things they don't need or want with money they don't have. Every see "The Story of Stuff"? It's a real eye opener on how the advertisers try to influence individuals into believing they are nothing without their latest gadget/item of clothing/whatever and how people fall for it. There's a psychological aspect to it that people just don't get.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 AM on Mar. 15, 2011