Do high school students in your area need to do volunteer hours to graduate?

If they do, how many hours and have they found the volunteering opportunities helpful in any way?

Nonoluna

Asked by Nonoluna at 3:35 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• definitely not
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 3:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• no..but it always looks good on college/scholarship apps.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• No they dont need them here, but they are encouraged from a young age to be involved in the community. We have an Optimist club that offers a Youth Optimist membership. Any child whose gone little league, soccer, cheer etc is involved in Optimist, so when they outgrow the league they can join as Junior members. Most of the parents are members anyway. Its more a community thing then requirement.

Answer by gemgem at 3:37 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• They do. I think it's like 10-15 hours; not a whole lot. Many of them volunteer in areas they are looking to for their careers, so that is super helpful. It's not required that volunteer at the homeless shelter or somewhere similar, but anywhere that is academically useful (office, art studio, whatever).
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 3:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yes my son has to volunteer 40 hours to graduate so he helps at the local church and gets his hours by helping with the school paper.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• No but thats a good idea!!!!
    kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 3:45 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• No, but it is required by our church of the students who are preparing for Confirmation (separate and apart from school).
    Anonymous

• At most of the school's around here they do. I think it's like 60 hrs by the time they graduate. This whole volunteer thing started a year before I graduated at my school so I only had to 15hrs. I don't know if it did too much for me, but it helped the people at the places I volunteered at!
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 4:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yes. They are required to have 100 hours from the 9th-12th grades to graduate. It's not that hard, it's about 33 hours a year which is easy to get. My sons all graduated with about 300 hours and that was not counting all of their hours of volunteering. They had some things that they did that they didn't do for any kind of recognition so they didn't count those hours (being big brothers for autistic children, lawn care and shoveling for elderly people, helping with collecting food for the needy, etc.).
    Anonymous

• No, but they do have a program for volunteering at their high school
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 14, 2011