Stage 3 baby food and finger foods ?

My son just turned 7 months and is eating stage 2 . i was wondering when you started your baby on stage 3 and finger foods . What FF did you start with ? did you still feed your LO baby food ? How often did you Give your baby FF and Baby food ?

des11987

Asked by des11987 at 3:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I introduced pureed food at about 8 mos. I think we introduced some finger foods around 10ish months. Many babies don't like the stage 3 foods, so I would just skip them. Since you've already started solids, you can start finger/table foods at any point. Now, if you want to. Good starter foods are banana, avocado and sweet potato, but you can use pretty much anything you're eating, and just cut it small. Make sure it's soft, and if it's not naturally soft, steam or bake it until it's soft enough. I know it can seem very difficult and like it's a big deal, but it's not. Don't make it out to be a big deal. :) As far as how often, etc, just follow your baby's lead. Make sure that until baby is 12 mos old, you nurse or feed a bottle BEFORE any solids (pureed or finger foods). After baby nurses/has bottle, offer a small amount of whatever you're feeding, and take it from there. A few bites is plenty if that's all baby
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I never used stage 3, or much jarred food at all for that matter. We pretty much went from foods that we could mash with our fork to finger foods of whatever we were eating for that meal/snack. The first finger food my daughter ever ate was cheerios - I would put them on her tray to play with while I finished up supper and it didn't take her long to get one into her mouth. She's now 8 months and eating solids 3 times/day with us with a bottle, and then 3 additional snacks of just formula (i breastfed my other 4, but wasn't able to with her). I just dice/mash whatever fruits/veggies we are having and feed her that - if I'm going to be putting any butter, salt or other spices in I take some out for her before I season. She doesn't eat much at each meal, but she enjoys playing with it!

Answer by missanc at 4:00 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• my son refused to eat the baby food after the table food at 9 months. I say save your money and give him what you are eating. the stage 3 is basically having some bigger chunks and you can mash or cut the foods just the same.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 4:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I only gave my baby stage two at 6 months. Then table foods.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:23 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• takes, or the amount about the size of a jar of food is fine too, as long as they nurse/have bottle first. How often is really up to you and baby, I guess, but I'd start small. A few bites once a day to start, and gradually increase it as baby gets older and more interested in solids and finger foods. I've heard so many moms giving 3 full meals a day, and snacks in between at this age, and IMO, that's just way too much for a baby, whose stomach is tiny. So, know that you don't NEED to do 3 meals a day, and that even a little bit is considered a serving. You can't do too little solids at this age, because they technically don't need ANY solids (for nutrition) until 12 mos, so don't worry about it not being enough.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 13, 2011