?FOR THOSE WHO SPANK?

I spanked my son for the first time yesterday for running down the street after A warning to listen. then last he woke up crying so hard. like a bad dream. (he is 3 and i only spanked him ONCE). WELL THIS morning i asked what he was so scared abt and why he was crying last night.. and he said. i was sad mommy u spanked me. i asked him twice.. he said the same thing. I WILL NOT SPANK ANYMORE. STICK to time out. WOULD THIS MAKE YOU NOT SPANK ANYMORE?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yea, it would almost surely make me refrain from spanking again.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:53 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yep spanking is nothing but physical and emotional abuse that teaches children they can be hit and hurt by those who love them.
    Anonymous

• Moreover... didn't you get your point across? I bet he never does that again... which I would say is the most important aspect of it all. You have now prevented your child from ever going near that street again. I think that was your intended benefit... so....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• guess it worked
    you got his attention
    Anonymous

• No, I would have told him to listen the next time and he won't get spanked. What are you going to do when he does that because he got put in timeout?
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I don't know how I feel about spanking. I've used it a few times, but for the most part it just escalates a tantrum and my kid doesn't learn from it, so then I'm guilty and he's upset, with no result.

In your situation I think I would have tried to use it as a jumping off point for a conversation. "I feel really sad that I spanked you, too, but I did it because you ran into the street and that is so dangerous, that you needed to learn not to do it." or whatever.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 13, 2011