What's the deal with "Sister Wives"?

I thought it was illegal to be married to more than one person. It's that the law all over the U.S.?

tastymama

Asked by tastymama at 3:54 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Entertainment

• Technically, yeah, it's legal, but there are religions that do it anyway. This family (I'm watching Sister Wives right now) is a part of a religion that branches off from the LDS, and they believe in polygamy. There are communities all over the place with polygamist families, and yeah, they do get in trouble from the law a lot.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 4:01 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I live in Utah, was raised LDS (not currently practicing) and I can tell you that most LDS people find polygamy wrong and bothersome. The FLDS church (which these people belong to) branched off from the LDS church long ago when LDS leaders told their followers to stop the practice of polygamy. Living in Utah, actually in Lehi (where this particular family lives) I have seen these "sister-wives" and their children. They all look MISERABLE. My little sister (18 years old) actually dated an LDS boy whose father is a polygamist (this poor boys mother had been abandoned by him years before) and she met all 75 (yes that is a real number) of his half brothers and sisters. It is all just crazy!
    And I agree, I could never "share" my husband. The idea makes me a little sick to my stomach.
    brighteyesbryar

Answer by brighteyesbryar at 4:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• it is ilegal
    this family does ceremonies
    but he is not legally married
    to any of them
    but the first wife
    Anonymous

• Legal or not I could NEVER share my man with other women and allow him to have children with others. Yep,I am selfish that way,lol
    guardmp_MOM

Answer by guardmp_MOM at 4:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I never watched the show. Do the "wives" work outside the home and what does the husband do for a living. If they are not all legally married how do they pay for things like health insurance? I can only imagine how much private health insurance for 3 wives and a bunch of children would cost. 

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• it's legal in some states....forget exactly which ones.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 3:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• America is NOT a 3rd world cat box arab state where you can marry a 9 year old girl and abuse women all you want if your a man. Its Illegal to be married to more than one person at a time. Always has been to.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• it is illegal

Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:12 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• What is FLDS? I've never met a woman that was willing to share her husband, I could see people accepting this if you were raised this way but I don't understand how others become convinced that it's a good idea.
    tirelessefforts

Answer by tirelessefforts at 4:07 PM on Mar. 15, 2011