Is it ok to eat more fruits and veggies and cut back on meat?

I want to eat more fruits and veggies than is recommended. I want to a little less meat. I'm not looking to cut all protein out of my diet. I am just wondering if I cut back a little on meat and add more fruit if that will help with my weight loss goals. Also will drinking cranberry juice help?

tnvplus2

Asked by tnvplus2 at 4:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• good idea with the fruits and veggies. and i know beef takes forever to break down in ur digestive system. i def. think that would help with weigth loss and your general health. havent heard anything about the cranberry juice thing though.
    iluvmybabe

Answer by iluvmybabe at 4:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Juices are empty calories. You don't get nearly enough nutrition for the calorie count. You can replace many of your meats with high protein grains (quinoa is yummy and versatile and a complete protein, for example). The ideal human diet should be heavy on seasonal vegetables, light on animal products. This is coming from a hardcore carnivore.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 4:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Eat as many fruits and veggies as you like. the FDA recommendations are just that recommendations. Getting more veggies and therefore more nutrients, antioxidants and lots of good things is excellent. Also you don't need to eat meat to get protein. great sources of protein that aren't meat are: beans, eggs, nuts, greek yogurt, legumes and some grains like quinoa have a complete protein as well.
    Black bean burgers are delicious. :)
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 4:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Thank you very much :)
    tnvplus2

Comment by tnvplus2 (original poster) at 4:15 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Great question, this is exactly what I started doing about 3 mos ago. I also cut out the bread, candy & fast food. I've lost 15 lbs so far and feel tons better! I drink alot of water before meals and it makes you feel full before you eat so your not running back for seconds. GL
    Kathy675

Answer by Kathy675 at 4:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I totally agree on the vegtable diet is a great idea. My father doesn't eat meat at all but what I suggest is getting something to substitute for the meat but have never heard of the Cranberry juice idea. does not hurt to try though!
    MistyLuvs

Answer by MistyLuvs at 4:40 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• why wouldn't it be ok?
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 5:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• i think it is a great idea, you can also drink water intead of juice so you don't get a lot of sugars from the fruit and the juice.
    sodapple

Answer by sodapple at 9:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Juice is empty calories, I totally agree on that. I think adding more fruits and veggies and cuttin back on meats will be fine. Make sure you include some beans and legumes to make up for the protein. They have some major nutritional punch, too, and you'll increase your fiber this way (so make sure you're also drinking plenty of water, and go slowly, or you can get constipated). You're on the right track!! :)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:38 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Sure on more fruit and veggies. Juice is empty calories. It is best not to drink your calories.
    momto1girl3boys

Answer by momto1girl3boys at 3:56 PM on Mar. 14, 2011