Our 3 1/2 year old will sit on the potty but then nothing. HELP

My Husband and I have finally gotten our 3 1/2 year old son to sit on the potty chair but then nothing happens. We use an old-fashioned egg-timer (3 minute timer) for 6 minutes and he's only peed for us once (last night) a few drops. I, of course, was thrilled but then nothing. He will sit on the potty chair for 6 minutes every 20-25 minutes, not pee, and then pee in his pull-ups EVERY time. I know it's only been about a week of potty training but I'm still very frustrated. Is it no big deal that he's NOT peeing in the potty and peeing in his pull-ups (which by the way are pretty expensive)? Is it more important, right now, that we make sure that it's been exactly 25 minutes every time since the last time we put him on the potty chair for now and not be concerned, at all, that he's not peeing or pooing in the potty?
PLEASE HELP.

momneedstimeout

Asked by momneedstimeout at 4:19 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I'm not sure, I had my son potty trained right before he turned 3. I put poster board up in the bathroom and bought a bunch of stickers at the dollar store and each time he used the potty he got to put a sticker on the poster board. He really liked this and it worked! I don't know that it would with all kids though. You could also try putting cheerios in the potty and telling him to aim and pee on them lol my son liked that too. Luckily it was summer when I potty trained mine and he liked to pee off the porch, I think after a few times of him using the potty he realized it felt better than using the bathroom on himself. Keep trying, don't stress about it! Good luck :)
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 4:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• It felt like it took FOREVER to potty train my son- he would go on the potty sometimes, but whenever he would get interested in playing, he'd ignore that he had to go and wet or poop himself. It was so frustrating. He eventually figured out that he liked being dry and clean more than he liked feeling wet and dirty, so he started going. It just takes some time sometimes.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it. Just wondering how long you put your little ones on the potty and how often?
    momneedstimeout

Comment by momneedstimeout (original poster) at 6:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I put my son on every 45 minutes then every 10 minutes after that until he either peed or had an accident. You can increase the odds of success by giving him more to drink (which helps to get the basic concept down) but that will admittedly result in more accidents. Also, get rid of the pullups. You'll have far more success without them (at least that was my experience). Kids equate pullups with diapers which were ok to pee in. I let my son go bare-bottomed the first few days (put him in a long shirt) and he got the idea quickly with less laundry. I just spent as much time as possible outside!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I found putting my son on the potty too often actually was a bad thing because he was "too busy" and 15 minutes an hour in the potty is a great deal of time and work for a small kid. You may want to bring a basket with toys to keep him relaxed on the potty or have a song that he has to finish before he can get off so it gives him more time to try. On about the fifth attempt after a week break we did a great deal of brainwashing with encouraging movies, books to get the mind set going and changed the timing to every 45 minutes and rewarded success. I agree the pull ups have limits. You can get plastic pants to put over the underwear if you are concerned with leaks. I bought some kids underwear on clearance and figured out it was about 25 cents more than the darn pull ups so if I salvaged half and threw away a few really poopy ones. For pee standing up and doing target practice was a big hit in my house. You can use a cheerio.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 10:08 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• just keep doing what you are and sooner or later he will get it
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 16, 2011

• Thanks everybody. I appreciate all the advice and words of encouragement. It really helps me to keep my sanity and know that I'm not alone!
    momneedstimeout

Comment by momneedstimeout (original poster) at 6:13 PM on Mar. 20, 2011