Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Who do i talk to?

i am very interested in becoming a juvenile corrections officer but i don't know how to start or should i say where to start..i have my high school diploma but where do i go from there? i am 20 and i will be in the state of Florida...thanks Lady's

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

Answers (10)
  • you would have to look into crimal justice i believe. Check out local colleges or even on line places and see if they offer it.

    Answer by jenn4443 at 4:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

  • You find your local community college and set up an appointment with a counselor who can look at your interests, background and financials and steer the way. You could go University first, but its cheaper to go CC first. Good for you for knowing what you want!

    Answer by silversmom at 4:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

  • most community colleges offer criminal science classes and you can get and AS certificate for it. go to the councilor at your local school and tell them what you are interested in. they will let you know what classes you need and help you get all the info and show you how to sign up, get financial aid etc. while you are taking classes, go to the job office on campus and see if there is a place you can volunteer or intern at to get some experience in the field you are wanting to work in. that will let you know if it is right for you. Congrats and GL

    Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 4:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

  • the thing is i am going to have to wait to do in texas moveing to florida in a month or two

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

  • you can look online to see what school are an option before you even move. just do a search for community colleges in florida in the city or near where you will be living. you can see if they even offer a certificate program in your field, if they have an onsite daycare too.

    Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 4:30 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

  • My brother just finished a Correctional Officer Training school in California last fall. I believe it was 12 weeks, I'm sure Florida has something similar. He did have to stay at the academy and not see his family until the weekends though as it was many hours away. They did a thorough background investigation as well as many tests, physical as well as mental, similar to when he joined the Marines years before. Not sure if you can pick and choose whether you work at a juvenile facility or not though. I know they have to do "time" at regular prisons before they can pick other options. Do a search, you are bound to find some information on this subject, and possibly an academy just for working in juvenile facilities. Good luck:)


    Answer by shanlaree at 4:35 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

  • I'd start by looking at college's around your area

    Answer by girliemom0406 at 7:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

  • You don't have to do any schooling to be a correctional officer. Some juvenile places require that you have experience working with juveniles though.
    I would do a job search for Florida to see what they have available. Go specifically to their state website and search there. Correctional facilities are state jobs, so you'll have to search on the state website. I think you might have to be 21 though.

    Answer by SherriPie at 7:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

  • Contact a corrections office, and ask.

    Answer by rkoloms at 10:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

  • no in florida you can start at going to the djj in may possibly


    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.