How can I get my 2 week old to sleep with out me??

Ok my daughter is 2 weeks and 2 days old. In order for her to sleep, be it at night or napping during the day, she has to be either sleeping next to me on the couch / bed or on me some how. How do I break her of this. She has a play pen and bassinet and I would really like to use them for things. She wasn't like this when we first brought her home, she slept in the bassinet the first night fine. It's just now she only wants to sleep in bed with hubby and I. Please any advice would be helpful

MrsStanley22

Asked by MrsStanley22 at 8:26 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it sounds like she just wants to be close to you.
    if it's the only way she will sleep then just go with it.

sorry, i'm just a big fan of co-sleeping.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 8:37 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I never got mine to sleep alone till much older. It's natural for her to want skin contact. Don't fight it.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 9:01 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I coslept to get us through the tough times with my son and he is now only 2 and half months old and will sleep by himself. You'll get a lot of criticism for cosleeping but only you know what is best for your family. Also something that helped my son in the first few weeks was a womb bear. It is a stuffed teddy bear that plays womb sounds. We got one form walmart for $15. It was like a drug to him he slept like a rock just be sure to stock up on batteries
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:07 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My son started in the bassinet, then moved into our bed. It was easier to BF him and he seemed to sleep more peaceful. During the day though, he would nap by himself in a swing, bassinet, crib, etc. Try to get your baby tired and usually they will fall asleep maybe with you there, but wont wake up when you leave. There is nothing wrong with letting a LITTLE ONE sleep in your bed for a few months; but I feel it is best to move them to their own crib when they begin squirming/rolling (then it's dangerous). Start with independent naps during the day; then when she is comfortable with that, try the nighttime (just be ready for some sleepless nights in there during the transition).
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:30 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Your baby days old! She's been a part of your body for the better part of a year, give her more time to get use to being a part of the "outside" world before you start expecting her to be able to do anything (including sleep) apart from you.
    Anonymous

• You're 2 week old should be next to you.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 10:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My son is now five months old and sleeping in his own bed in his own bedroom. But he was the same way when we brought him home. For about the first 2-3 weeks of his life I had to sleep in the recliner with him on my chest in order for us both to get a decent nights rest. But he gradually broke out of it and began sleeping in his cradle beside our bed. Now he is in his own bedroom. She'll get there, but like the last person said, she's been a part of your body for months and now to suddenly expect her to sleep alone....it may be a little scary for her. But she'll out grow it, promise:O)
    cjo1366

Answer by cjo1366 at 10:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I'm not a big fan of co-sleeping. It doesn't work for everyone so do not feel bad if you want her to sleep in the crib. Try swaddling her. They like that tight feeling, reminds them of the womb. My son also needed a little noise to sleep (NICU for 6.5 weeks, he got used to some noise I guess). We got him one of those machines that make white noise and a heart beat and ocean sounds, etc. Worked great.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 10:14 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• i'm with the first poster...we co sleep..even if we didn't like it, Bryson would not agree with any other option!! LOL...we love having him close, because you j ust never know..its easier to watch him...and we just love watching him sleep.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• My lil guy in a week old and not one night has passed that he didn't sleep with me and my hubby. He normally sleeps starting out in his bassinet... but i tell ya what at that 4 or 5 AM feeding it's just easier to leave him in the bed with us. We don't mind it at all and he sleeps better because he's with us. He likes sleeping curled up to his daddy better than me though. I think that's because when I was pregnant I was always curled up to my hubby when I was asleep
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 11:35 PM on Nov. 23, 2008