1 year old flutter eyes?

My one year old has been fluttering his eyes for a while. He also will look at something and turn his head leaving his eyes on the object until his eyes are completely in the corners. He tenses up and shakes. He also likes to cover his eyes for no reason(he just started this). I've spoken with his pedi about this the shaking and eye flutters and she says he is just learning to control his muscles and says the eyes are nothing to worry about. However I do worry about this, because I've never seen a child do these things before. Has your child done this? If so what was the reason? Did they grow out of it? He has been doing it since he was about 9-10 months old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is normal just like the pedi said.
    Hatsumomo

Answer by Hatsumomo at 4:35 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• my lil brother used to tense up his hands and arms and bite down and shake when he was really excited about something. it is weird but its totally fine. he doesnt shake now and he is 14. he is actually really graceful now. your babe sounds like he is learning more control like your pedi said. he probably covers his eyes because he found out when he does that, things disappear and reappear when he uncovers them. i heard babies will think you are completely gone when you cover your eyes. looks like its time to play peek a boo!!
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My son did this. He is 9 now and he was diagnosed with tourette's at 4. This of course does not mean he will have tourettes but something to watch maybe? My other two did different little things lie this and do not have tourette's though. GL dr probably right he is just learning muscle control but if he continues maybe bring it up again at another appt!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 4:59 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• When my 2nd son was close to one he started having his head "bob" when he was looking at something. His eyes would dart back and forth also. We were sent to a neurologist and to an eye doctor and we found out he had something called Nystagmus. He grew out of it when he was around 2 1/2...he is now 4 1/2. Hopefullly your pedi is correct when they say it is normal.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 6:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My three year old did all that kind of stuff when he was that age. It was very scary, especially being married to someone with a history of seizures. I did not listen to my pediatrician and brought my son to a neurologist and to an eye doctor. It truly was as your pediatrician described, nonetheless it was indeed terrifying. I made a video of it happening when I went to the neurologist because of course it never happened in the doctor's office. If I had it all to do over again I would have made the same big stink and gone to multiple doctors because it put my mind at ease. It probably truly is nothing, but a Mommy instinct should never be ignored.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 14, 2011