How many women here have given birth at 37 weeks and how did everything turn out with baby?

Does the baby stay in the hospital for observation or does he go home at 37 weeks?

babysavy9

Asked by babysavy9 at 4:45 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I had my oldest at 37w1d. He was 5 lbs, 6 oz, 18 3/4" long. There was talk of keeping him because he was low birth weight (below 5.5 lbs), but they let him go because he was doing well. His apgars at birth were 9 and 10. He was born at 8:06 pm, and we were discharged by noon the next day.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I had my DD at 38 weeks, I was induced due to pre-e... she was almost 9 pounds. She was DC's with me after 4 days.... She could have gone home at 2 days, but since I had to stay she did as well. Your baby will be DC's with you unless there is a health issue that warrants her staying there.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:50 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• A lot of doctors consider 37 weeks to be full term. My youngest was born at 38w0d and he was 6lb7oz, good Apgars and was home from the hospital a day after birth. He did have to go back for a further jaundice blood test- I was told early or preterm babies tend to have more jaundice than those born at 40 weeks, but he was fine at home and didn't need to remain in the hospital.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:51 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• All mine were 36 weeks or before and my smallest was 6 lbs 6 in! 19 in long! they all left hospital with me including my 4 week early baby! GL
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 4:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I had my daughter at 37 weeks and she was 5lb 12oz 17 in long, she was perfectly healthy. We actually had to stay in the hospital because of me, c-section. 37 weeks is considered full term so you really have nothing to worry about!
    CEGrissim

Answer by CEGrissim at 4:52 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• My baby as 2 weeks premature and she was fine. She was under 6 lbs but barely. We were able to go home the very next day.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 4:54 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• It depends on the health of your baby when you have it. I had my son at 36 wks he was 4lbs but he was healthy and did just fine. We had to stay in the hospital for a couple of extra days b/c he had bad jaundice but other than that everything was ok he didn't have to be in nicu or anything.
    kayaiden8907

Answer by kayaiden8907 at 4:55 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I had baby number 3 at 37 weeks to the day. I was worried a bit too but she was 6lbs10oz and was healthy. She did have to go to nicu for a few hours only because she pooped inside me.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 4:57 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I had the first at 36 weeks she was 7lbs 4oz had the second one at 34 weeks and she as 7lb 11 oz...They told me I had a 75% chance she would not be going home with me because she was so early.. I think we were all shocked how big she was... to be honest I am glad they induced me she would have been Huge at full term... they both did really well and went home with me... for such big babies they grew up to be petite teenagers.
    TraceyLu

Answer by TraceyLu at 4:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• i am on my 3rd and am 35 weeks right now and the baby is only 4lbs 7oz and they are wanting to induce me at 37 weeks
    wiggsbabe

Answer by wiggsbabe at 5:06 PM on Mar. 13, 2011