I have a 2 year old she will be 3 months away from 3 when the new baby comes, what are good ways to get her involved.

CEGrissim

Asked by CEGrissim at 4:58 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• making her mommy lil helper. have her help with feeding, diapers changing, bathing, and general care and play with baby. let her know how proud you are of her. make sure she comes to visit you and baby before you leave the hospital. as long as she feels she is playing an important role in the babies life, you will have no problems (maybe a few) with her adjusting to new life with baby. having her read to the baby helps too ive heard. she gets better at reading and baby gets to reconize her voice, which is great when baby gets older and starts to smile at her, she will love that!
    Arretsmomma5

Answer by Arretsmomma5 at 5:03 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Let her touch the belly, talk to the belly, tell her she's going to be a big sister, let her give hugs to the tummy and kisses. I did that for my 3 (soon to be 4 year old) when I was pregnant with my little one and she loves her.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 5:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• When I had my second daughter, I got my first daughter involved by helping me pick out baby items when we'd go shopping, helping put away the clothes and other things we bought. I bought her a present and said it was from the baby when she came to see me in the hospital.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 5:02 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Great advice here and some of the best advice I got when our second came along was to do some special things with just the oldest like McDonald's, going to the park, etc. Tell her babies can't do this........only big girls. It worked like a charm with my oldest. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:16 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I have 2 that are 18 months apart and 2 that are 20 month apart. My older ones always basically ignored the younger sibling until they were old enough to interact, 5-6 months or so. We never had any problems with jealousy.

Answer by missanc at 5:48 PM on Mar. 13, 2011