help

Hello again i have another question my son is one years old and has never slept in a bed of his own. And my husband complains a bit of this cuz he still sleeps with us. How do you get your child to sleep by himself if he's never done it. I've heard things like you should leave them in a room by themselves and let them cry it out and i've heard to stay in the room which one is best.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I personally never could let my daughter cry it out by herself. We had a problem with my daughter sleeping once and I stayed in the room with her with one hand on her back to let her know I was there. It took a couple of nights, but now she is an amazing sleeper.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:41 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I agree with lilbit837!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 8:43 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• u could put a rocker or chair in his room and sit there and possibly read to him while he is in his bed until he falls asleep. every couple nights move ur chair farther out of his room until u are completely out. it's a gradual process.
    CRAZYWK

Answer by CRAZYWK at 9:52 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• This it the problem with co-sleeping (IMO)...put her in her room and keep checking on her every 5-10 minutes. She will cry but do not let her come into your bed. You're going to have to do it now otherwise you'll have a 10 year old still sleeping with you.
    Anonymous

• I doubt highly that you will have a 10 year old sleeping with you. I agree that it should be a gradual process. To transition my son to his toddler bed I would lay next to him (tight fit but hey it works) and after he would fall asleep I would get up and go to my own bed. To keep him from coming into my room (or exploring the house unattended) we put a baby gate on his door. Kinda makes his whole room a giant crib. It didn't take long before he got the idea and now he goes to bed or down for a nap without a problem.
    Amanda_Leigh

Answer by Amanda_Leigh at 4:12 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• i co slept for 6 months, and i do not regret that one bit.
    but after 6 months we started transitioning her to her crib and she did fine. just slowly, give her a cup of some milk to calm her and sing a lullaby etc
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 1:27 PM on Nov. 24, 2008

• There are a few things you could try but it depends on your child, really. 1. You put her in her room in her crib and comfort her i.e... rocking or patting her back for 10 minutes and just before she is sleepy, leave the room-if she cries wait 1 minute and then go back in pat her again-this time only 7 minutes of rocking or patting back-then leave but let her cry for about 3 minutes. repeat step 1 but comfort for 5 minutes and let her cry for 5 minutes. By this time normally the child will be too tired to fight but keep comforting for 5 minutes and increase cry it out time but dont exceed 10 minutes. If she's continues to cry comfort her until she falls asleep but repeat the same system the next night...the object is to have her falling asleep ON HER OWN in her OWN room. There r other ways too but its too long to write!
    JTNMD711

Answer by JTNMD711 at 2:49 PM on Nov. 24, 2008