Playground etiquette?

I took my 3 year old DD to the park today, and I learned that most people have no idea how to behave at a playground! There is a smaller playground (lower to the ground, shorter slides - for younger kids) that we couldn't even get to. The parents of the other children had claimed it as their seat. One even appeared to be sunbathing on a slide! The other play area is larger, for older kids - but it's my DD's favorite, and she normally plays on it. There were 13-14 year old boys roughhousing on the unit, which I felt was inappropriate to begin with. They're too old! But what really had me fuming was when my DD was about to go down one of the slides, 3 older kids (7-9 year olds) literally shoved and elbowed their way past her to go first. Their parents just watched! I know they saw because they were standing right there looking and even speaking to their kids! I know it's a playground, and the point is to play, but c'mon! Kids still need to wait their turn and watch out - don't barrel over smaller children! My DD, at the age of 3, KNOWS BETTER because I've taught her better! I most certainly wouldn't stand there and watch as my child pushed and shoved their way to the slide.

So, this is really more of a vent, but to make it a question - do you make your children behave on a playground? If you do, are you just as annoyed as I am by the lack of manners?!

DusterMommy

Asked by DusterMommy at 5:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I know exactly what you mean. It really annoys me. I have a toddler and I'm sick of kids and parents who are too big to be hanging all over the little kids equipment doing just that. We have to sit aside while they hog it up, not even using it as it's intended. People like that, in my opinion, are rude and selfish. It won't be long before I end up getting in a fight with someone bc I'm sick of the way a lot of people allow their children to act. Next time an older kid pushes my child and the parents don't respond, I'm going to knock that parent down on their ass to let them see how it feels. I'm sick of the bullshit and the bitches.

Phew. I went on a little vent myself, lol. But, yea, I know what you mean, and here's a bump! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:09 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I totally agree with you! My kids are 9, 12, and 13 now and they would never act like that! I do have a 4 yr old niece that is like a daughter to me we just adore that child and my kids have always cherished and adored their little cousin! They are the first to jump if someone messes with her lol! I hate it for her when she starts to date because noone will be good enough in their eyes! I have always corrected other children! When mine were little and even now with my niece i always say where is your momma and 9 times out of 10 they apologize on their own and stop lol! I have talked to a few parents and not cared if i ticked them off after all i'm teaching my kids by example about being proactive in defending yourself! If parents don't do anything i talk to the kid real loud and embarrass him. I know this sounds awful but If they won't teach their kids discipline someone has to!
    harris4

Answer by harris4 at 5:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I get very annoyed. One time my 2 year old was near the swings (which no one was swinging on btw) a little boy comes behind the swing and pushes it right into her face, she had a swollen/black eye! (It was one of the toddler swings, where they sit IN them) Not only was I ready to beat his mother, but I was ready to discipline him too, but I kept my cool, his mother didn't even do anything!! She just sat here, like it was an ''acccident'' or it was okay..WTH!!!!! Then she has the friggin nerves to say "oh your dd has a black eye" ... NO SHIT !!!!! whew okay, i'm done lol.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 5:10 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I've been on both sides of the coin now that my kids are older. I wouldn't allow them to be disrespectful of little kids and never have. That said, most parents are so used to seeing their kids at their stage of growth that being a little careless seems to come with the age and they "know" the play structures so well they practically bounce all over them and parents barely give it a glance. The tweens have it tough because there really isn't a place for them at all. They are really in the middle. But I understand how you feel.
    Anonymous

• This is exactly why we try to find parks no one else frequents. Kids being rude and mean to my children make me want to beat them and their parents.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 5:17 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I'm glad you agree, lol. And..when the parent acts shocked, I'll just say, "What? You seem to think it's perfectly acceptable, so I'm surprised you mind". :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:18 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• THIS momma bear doesn't put up with it. If my child misbehaves they sit out for a few, if someone else's child is VIOLENT I don't hesitate to return them to their parent. You'd be amazed at how willing the AP "don't want to hurt my kids feelings" crowd is to actually PARENT when they have the crap embarrassed out of them.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:28 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Just like adults too. It seems no one really knows how to behave anymore from toddlers to adults - people are rude and talk on cell phones in stores like there is no one around - I don't want to hear your phone conversation when I'm trying to go to the fresh market and plan my dinner and get AWAY from the freakin cell phone. People in general do not discipline their children which in turn grow into idiots - the world is a run away playground of bullies and idiots....................
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 5:01 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• YES!
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 5:07 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Next time an older kid pushes my child and the parents don't respond, I'm going to knock that parent down on their ass to let them see how it feels

That is EXACTLY what I felt like doing! lol. I freaking love this idea.
    DusterMommy

Comment by DusterMommy (original poster) at 5:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2011