Any advice on getting pregnant at 36?

Dh and I have been having unprotected sex for about 9 months. We are both getting anxious. Any good old folk remedies, words to the wise or brilliant ideas?

BluDog

Asked by BluDog at 5:05 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Just keep doing it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:14 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I am 33 and I agree with jeanclaudia.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 5:20 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Yep keep on doing it and maybe get an ovulation kit so you can do it on the days you know youre ovulating. If you dont have any success by the 1 yr mark you can always see your doctor and see if there is anything else going on.

Answer by gemgem at 5:24 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Having sex was how i got pregnant with my 2nd baby at 36...and what gemgem suggested aobut the ovulation kit is a great idea. I had my 3rd son one month before i turned 38 and had my 4th son right before i turned 40. He is now almost 11 months old.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 5:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• This will be my first baby. I just thought it would be easier. We spent years trying to not get pregnant and now we are frustrated it's taking so long...patience, I know.
    BluDog

Comment by BluDog (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• At your age I would not wait much longer to contact your dr. I was 36 when I got pg with help so it is possible however your fertility tends to decline in your late 30's.
    I would start charting, track your cycles and talk to your dr.
    Good luck.
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I used to chart and all that but my doctor told me to stop. She suggested I not think about it and just rest assured knowing I am having unprotected sex and we could conceive at any time. I also got blood work done and all my hormonal levels are normal. That's why I am looking for "other" suggestions like herbs, positions and the like.
    BluDog

Comment by BluDog (original poster) at 12:07 AM on Mar. 14, 2011

• My suggestion if you've been tracking at all is to have sex earlier in your cycle than you think you need to...like the day after your period ends kind of thing. I was 37 getting pregnant with my first so I understand the frustration and fear that it hasn't happened for you yet.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 1:29 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• I am also 36 and it can be very frustrating when it doesn't 'just happen' as we would hope.
    If you aren't already, try charting your cycles, cervical mucus changes, taking your temp each day at the same time (preferably upon waking and before you do anything ;no getting up at all (leave the BBT thermometer on your bedside table with a pen and paper so that you can chart your temp right after taking it) and then if you still find that you aren't pregnant in another few months (as that would be a year of TTC for you) then make an appt. with your doctor who can do some blood work on both of you as well as a sperm analysis on DH) and see if there are any issues that need to be addressed. We had a ton of tests done and nothing abnormal was found so we have just been told to keep trying :)
    I also love the book, Taking Charge of Your Fertility. You can usually buy it online or borrow it from your local library. A very good read!
    miraclewaits

Answer by miraclewaits at 1:45 PM on Mar. 14, 2011

• Just keep trying. After about 1 yr, check with your doctor. If you decide to buy an ovulation kit and start charting, don't let it take over your life. It is real easy to get caught up in all of this, then lose the enjoyment, excitement, and romance. We have been trying for quite some time. We realized it will happen on it's own time.
    smartgal5275

Answer by smartgal5275 at 1:17 PM on Mar. 15, 2011