How do you handle inlaws that you cannot stand?

Just wondered if anyone has distanced themselves from their inlaws because of bad behaviour and you also feeling like an outsider. When I tell my husband my reasons for not wishing to attend his family's functions, I am made to look like the black sheep. I wanted to point out that I am 50 years old and have been married for just over 6 years now.

How did you handle the situation?

idawmn

Asked by idawmn at 8:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Relationships

• Grin and bear it, if it is something important that I have to attend. If I don't have to go then I don't.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• I have some in-laws(outlaws!! jk !!) that I don't like. Any snippet of information they get about any negative thing in my life they happen to get ahold of gets spread from Hell to breakfast and twisted eight ways and back before it comes back around. If I have to attend any family functions, i usually just keep to myself or visit with the ones I can tolerate. One of my SILS thinks she can bake and brings big platters full of BEAUTIFUL cookies. One year I saw the cookies and thoughtWOW beautiful cookies! Wonder why no one's eating them? I grabbed an M&M cookie, took a biteand EEEWWW! baking soda!I tossed it into the garbage. Took another cookie theat had a Hershey kiss on top. Took a bite. Eeww SALT!! Found out later that SIL is famous for her beautiful horrible cookies!! lol Just go & try to have fun!!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 9:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2008