Another Thrush question...

This is my 1st time dealing with this so forgive me for all the posts!
Doc Rx'd Nystatin - 2ml 4x/day. I'm supposed to swab it inside her mouth with a Q-tip. After doing this a few times... 2ml seems like a LOT - I haven't been using the whole 2ml each time. For those of you who've been through this, do I need to swab the whole 2ml in her mouth? So far it seems to be working even though I haven't been using the whole 2ml...

MamaLisa1976

Asked by MamaLisa1976 at 5:21 PM on Mar. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't have to use the entire amount - at least, I never have - if you feel like you're gagging her - just keep in mind that some of the excess would be covering the part further back in her mouth. As Amber1330 suggested, make sure to sterilize everything that goes in her mouth.

Also, you might watch her diaper area for red bumps - that's yeast on the bottom and many times if it's in mouth it'll show up on the bottom, too.

Keep sterilziing even after it looks like it's gone and don't stop the meds before the doctor directed you to - it can be kinda hard to shake.

I wouldn't worry about not getting the entire 2mL in there though - you're doing great, mama :) Good luck!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 9:38 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• i always just dipped the q tip and swabbed her whole mouth. i didn't worry about the measurement. i just made sure i got it on all the effected area
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 5:25 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Hers goes back pretty far on her tongue and I end up gagging her... what if it goes REALLY far down her throat & I can't get to it & it keeps coming back? :{
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 5:26 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I have never had to deal with thrush thank goodness, but i would probably apply the nystatin as prescribed...i would be afraid the thrush would come back or not go away all the way if i didnt. But it also sounds like your daughter is improving. Hope she gets better soon.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 6:27 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Honestly, you're probably fine. When my little one got thrush, the pediatrician told me the dose was only on the bottle because the pharmacy required it, & just to make sure I got it on all the patches. Just for your peace of mind, though, I'd probably call your pediatrician in the morning & check. And your worry about it being in her throat & coming back... is she on antibiotics? That's the most common reason babies get thrush. If she is, her body should get rid of the thrush soon after she's off them. Hugs!

KA91

Answer by KA91 at 6:35 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• I would think that you should use the amount that was prescribed. I'm not sure, as I've fortunately never had to deal with thrush, but I think you can put the 2 ml in her mouth, and whatever is left of that dose, she can drink. Not 100% sure on that though, so ask someone who has more knowledge on the subject. I do know that many moms prefer using Gentian Violet for thrush. It works wonders, from what I've heard, BUT, it stains everything it comes into contact with. You might want to look into that, either in place of the Rx, or in addition to it. Just an idea :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Hmm I never had to swab the nystatin in my girls mouth. They told me to use a medicine dropper and make sure I cover their whole mouth with the medicine. I wonder why they told you to swab. Normally they want to treat the whole mouth.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 6:46 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Nope, she's not on antibiotics, it threw me when she got it. Yeah, they told me to swab the affected areas as best I could... that's what I've been doing & she is getting better... I just didn't know if by not using the entire 2ml I'm short-changing her. I usually can get it all swabbed but it's nearly impossible to get her mouth open after that & there's still at least 1ml left. It's not that she doesn't like it, it's just she clamps shut & won't let me in! :)
    MamaLisa1976

Comment by MamaLisa1976 (original poster) at 7:13 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• Oh my girls hated it and I didn't have to swab. As long as you are getting it covered and you notice that it is helping, then you are doing a great job and I wouldn't worry too much about it. I don't know if your doc told you, but do make sure to disinfect everything her mouth touches. Bottles, passies, toys, etc. Just boil them in some water and a little bit of white vinegar. It is a natural disinfectant. Sounds like your doing great mama :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 7:43 PM on Mar. 13, 2011

• You know...I didn't give my daughter much of the medicine. She had thrush when she was a few weeks old, and it was tough getting her to swallow the medicine, using a dropper. Her thrush went away on its own.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 14, 2011