How do you start a fire in your fireplace with real firewood?

I usually buy duraflame logs but I got a box of real firewood for cheap and now I don't know how to get it a blaze. What is the trick? I've tried rolled up newspaper but it just goes out.

hopelessnance

Asked by hopelessnance at 8:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2008 in Just for Fun

• As a girl raised in the country and used wood burners to keep the house and garage heated in the winter, the trick is this.....roll the papers up like pencils. But you need some kindling. That is small pieces of wood. Like strips of wood off the logs, we take the bark or take an ax to the split wood and strip some pieces off. Light the paper and use the paper to light the kindling, sometimes blowing air on it slowly helps. Lighting the kindling and fire underneath one of two pieces of wood helps too. But the wood needs to be getting air from underneath it. Hope I am making sense. Make sure your firewood is dry as can be too, or it will not burn. When we were having a heard time we would sometimes squirt a tiny bit of lighter fluid on it, which isn't a good idea all the time, but when you were freezing and needed a quick start that little squirt helped LOL
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• use bark from the logs, I swear it's the best fire starter. Hope this helped.
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 9:44 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• we usually but a special log its soaked in some fluid you just light it up and thats it....sorry not much help:)
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 23, 2008

• Use the duraflame log to get a fire started then just put the "real wood" on top of the duraflame log.
    zachsmom900

Answer by zachsmom900 at 1:25 AM on Nov. 24, 2008

• Thanks! I will definitely try all these things! It's now turned into a project. I will prevail! Zachsmom, I've totally done your trick in the past. Works great! But I'm pinching money right now so I was trying to burn the real wood on it's own. They also have those duraflame fire starters (they look like tiny duraflame logs). If all else fails after I try all the other ladies' tricks, I might break down and buy some of those.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2008